limited bouldering?

dyno_merchant

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you've got it - the leavenworth area has a shitload of bouldering. it's probably "the destination" in WA state. other bouldering areas include:

banks lake - tons of potential. sagebrush steppe climate. climbable, yet cold, in the winter. granite.

minehaha - spokane's bouldering area. granite problems. right near town.

other than that, there's rock all over WA state. just keep yer eyes peeled and you'll likely find some good quality stuff that doesn't get much mileage.

cheers,

banks lake sounds interesting. have you bouldered there and is the rock compact stone or crumbly piles of poo. I'm interested because it would be nice to know there is a good winter area in washington to boulder at (what would be the seasons?).

Do you know of any areas being developed between Seattle and Bellingham. On the coast or along the west side of the Cascades.

Are there any good areas in Idaho near your neck of the woods?

by the way thanks for the info on bouldering in the NW.

come on you guys... I know there has got to be rad new bouldering areas "west of the crest". I grew up in Bellingham and I know that there are tons of great boulder fields up there that just need a little love and the caress of a wire brush to uncover hundereds of classic problems.

If I know about potential rad areas up your way and I live in Arizona, there has got to be someone up there thats got the scoop on areas that are going off.

by the way, I looked at that website. Loved it. Keep scrubbing-you never know what you'll unearth.

yo rat

Larrabee state park is pretty good, I bouldered there alot when I lived in B'ham. Fun problems with an amazing view. Little new developement is possible but there are a few sick lines to be done still.

Mud bay has a steep (almost 45 degrees) wall with great up problems on great sandstone. Limited but worth checking out if sick of Larrabee and the tide is out.

Sehome Hill in B'ham also has a few good problems on awesome sandstone. Again limited, but the few that are there are great if you're hanging out in B'ham and looking for a fix.

I'm pretty convinced that there is alot more to do around B'ham area. Especially eastward in the crumbly mountains.

There are several secret boulders below the Mt Si Pillar on Mt Si. There is one boulder that if cleaned properly would be the best boulder around. Ask Martin Volken about it sometime when you are in North Bend.

There are also some not so secret but vastly ignored boulders about 2/10th of a mile up the trail to Rattlesnake Ledge. They are obvious and there is an old Dick Cilley RURP pounded into the seam on the 20 foot face boulder.

SCRUB!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: mikeadam ]

while in the rimrock lake area on a field camp class this summer, i ran into a place that may have some potential. back on the logging roads there's a massive cliff of welded tuff where hundreds of boulders have fallen off. most are small, but in a few short minutes i spotted several that i think (not a boulderer) would yield interesting problems. there's probably tons more there.

has anybody else seen this area?

Sehome does have some good problems especially one I think its rated V6 in the Henrie guide. This is a standout problem.

The boulders below the Zeke’s Wall (granite) have the potential to be one of the best bouldering spots in WA. Some of the boulders are as big as houses. Currently access may be a bit difficult. If this area becomes developed the boulders would be far better than those in Leavenworth.

In the Tieton there are some problems near the river by the parking lot for the Cave Wall.

more about sehome hill in b'ham... if you liked the V6 thing that's on the lower cliff then you should drive to the top parking on sehome hill. above the fenced in radio antenna and left of the tunnel is an awesome!!! semi highball problem that climbs directly over a scooped wall to a super slopey top out (seemed to me to be about V5)and there is another rad problem that is to the right of the tunnel. it is a traverse that climbs right to left and finishes with a long move up to a rounded jug (V6 or V7?) really good moves!

by the way, is there more bouldering around index than just what I have seen under the lower town wall?

granite at banks lake? Are you talking about some other mystery banks lake??? That Coulee is made up of usually chossy Eastern-WA Basalt. There is some nice climbing over there, but not on granite.

I think Smoot's guide mentions banks, check it out.

dbb,

the granite at banks lake is located near steamboat rock state park just south of coulee city. there has been a fair amount of development by idaho and spokane climbers, both trad and sport. the rock can be scaley and friable due to its proximity to the basalt.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in Clint’s map. Recently there has been some development in the area. The road is unfortunately gated but it has been regraded and ends near the boulders. The boulder field itself is quite expansive and I have been unable to find some boulders a second time. Remember it is western WA so moss will grow and rain will fall. Rumor has it some people have been cited for trespassing in the area so be careful if you go there. Land ownership is somewhat chaotic maybe someone will take up the challenge and go visit the county and get some info. This is one area that does have much potential.

There is another bouldering spot. (ok but not great) near the river west of the Town Walls.

Banks Lake has a lot of granite and after having been called a reprobate bolter I have to stake the claim as putting up (10 or so years ago) the first multi-pitch intentional top rope route in Washington at Banks Lake. We even had a gas powered roto-hammer and a shit load of hardware. We just thought what the hell this is a fun route as a top rope.

One word, entiat!! 26 miles from the junction of 97 and Entiat river road, Go up the road 26 miles on the right side you will see sick granite boulders for about 1 mile its soo dope, But hey, Im in the buttermilks right now and its fat, forget washington!! he he