Post deleted by jon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Each and everyone of the these people are making way more than they are worth.

this may be the case in absolute terms but they also earn significantly less than for equivalent corporate jobs. what do you suggest they do to prevent losing management to aggressive competitors?

j_b said:

Each and everyone of the these people are making way more than they are worth.

this may be the case in absolute terms but they also earn significantly less than for equivalent corporate jobs. what do you suggest they do to prevent losing management to aggressive competitors?

Let me guess you work for the outdoor industry.

Each and everyone of the these people are making way more than they are worth

Actually, it is the floor staff which is making more than they are worth, since their salary is artificially inflated by the minimum wage. The "corporate types" are paid what they are worth. If REI systematically overpaid HQ staff, they would be unable to compete with other retailers.

no i don't but i have good friends who do (both for large and small outfits). seriously, i don't have the exact numbers but people should compare rei management wages to that of comparable retailers. as much as we may wish so, they don't operate in a vacuum.

Actually, it is the floor staff which is making more than they are worth, since their salary is artificially inflated by the minimum wage.

hahaha.gif

Howitt_da_liar said:

You talk about jobs. The "new" floor worker makes a little over min. wage, the department managers 20K to 30k the assistant store managers make more...but here there is a big discrepancy as some were hired a few years back and they make in the 60s while some of the newer ones doing the same job make about the same as a department manager. As expected the money goes up as the job title gets more impressive. What amazes me is that no one, absolutely no one asks why there is a need for such an elabotate facility in Kent for the "upper" managers of the company. There are people there making decisions that NEVER venture into the out doors except to BBQ, sail their 100k or more boats, golf, vacation world over etc. Very nice don't ya think.

I don't know if they still have this perk or not but this center for the "upper" crust used to have their own staff of chefs to cook for them. Each and everyone of the these people are making way more than they are worth.

Remember: the floor staff makes nothing its the people in Kent and the very top of the crop at the stores that make the bucks.

I hate to side with the Evil Empire here, but I think this characterization of the conditions at HQ vastly exaggerates the truth. Just because the retail employees are underpaid does NOT mean all of the employees at HQ are flying around in Lear Jets. For one thing, they have the exact same shitty HMO medical insurance that I do. tongue.gif

Welcome to the world...and I would have to disagree with your analogy. Who do you think makes the big $ at Starbucks? The baristas? How about Costco? The checkers? Do you think Jack Welch(GE) knows shit about making refrigerators or light bulbs? Probably not but he is one of the most succesful CEO's of our time.

I have know idea about the accuracy of your claims but assuming they are true, REI made a corporate decision and chose a business plan to follow. Though you may not agree with their decision, it has been fairly successful.

Buy your gear at the indy shops or on-line.

j_b said:

no i don't but i have good friends who do (both for large and small outfits). seriously, i don't have the exact numbers but people should compare rei management wages to that of comparable retailers. as much as we may wish so, they don't operate in a vacuum.

Actually, it is the floor staff which is making more than they are worth, since their salary is artificially inflated by the minimum wage.

hahaha.gif

That was part of the point of the Seattle weekly article - that the information as to how much management makes is unavailable. The BOD, at $15k/year is making a quite competitive salary with other BOD's of similar companies.

Wopper said:

Welcome to the world...and I would have to disagree with your analogy. Who do you think makes the big $ at Starbucks? The baristas? How about Costco? The checkers? Do you think Jack Welch(GE) knows shit about making refrigerators or light bulbs? Probably not but he is one of the most succesful CEO's of our time.

I have know idea about the accuracy of your claims but assuming they are true, REI made a corporate decision and chose a business plan to follow. Though you may not agree with their decision, it has been fairly successful.

Wopper-

That's the deal here - they made a business decision without consulting the owners (the members!) that many members do not approve of - and then have pursued a course of gradually reducing the power of the membership. Jack Welch was thought of as a great CEO because he did an excellent job pleasing the owners (i.e stockholders).

That was part of the point of the Seattle weekly article - that the information as to how much management makes is unavailable. The BOD, at $15k/year is making a quite competitive salary with other BOD's of similar companies.

my bad then. but my point stands that rei management also works there in part because of the more humane environment. if wage was the only consideration, many would be gone in a heartbeat.

I'm with wopper on this one.

If some of the members don't like it they can quit, or they can try to change it through the system. The fact is, individual members do not directly effect any co-op's actions or any regular corporation's actions.

Whopper's point of buy gear elsewhere is the way to effect REI's decision. Remember, it takes a lot of bricks to build a wall. bigdrink.gif

Rodchester said: The fact is, individual members do not directly effect any co-op's actions or any regular corporation's actions.

Rodchester-

Your way off base on that one. Look at the friendly outdoor coop to the north.

"Nominations are now being accepted for the 2004 election to MEC's Board of Directors. To be eligible to stand for election, you must be 19 years or older, a resident of Canada, and an MEC member for a minimum of three years. You must also have voted in one of the two most recent elections (either 2002 or 2003), and made a purchase or rental from the Co-op within the past two years.

Board members are expected to contribute time, experience and effort for the betterment of the Co-op. The amount of time and level of skill required of directors is high. The candidate should expect to contribute 40 or more hours per month of their time for Board responsibilities. Travel expenses are provided by MEC.

All nominations must include a statement signed by the nominee accepting the nomination and stating that he or she is willing to abide by the Rules of the Co-op and any election policies. In addition, at least five MEC members must sign the statement. Please be sure that your nomination includes your Member Number, address, and telephone number, as well as those of your nominators.

As a nominee, you'll be contacted to confirm your nomination and to receive more information on the election process. "

So that's five signatures. Versus 21,000. And MEC's 1/4 the size.

Rodchester said:

My point is that when decision times comes, what each individual says does not matter. They will go with what they see as the direction or desire of the majority. There is no way to make eveyone happy. frown.gif They'll just have to get over it. grin.gif

I'm not disagreeing wiht that, necessarily, but an individual member of MEC has a much easier chance of making their voice heard.

Ignorant. Ignorant. Ignorant people.

Every store position and every position at HQ has a wage or salary range. The HR department does an analysis every year to make sure the wage or salary range is comparable to THE MARKET for the position and the location where the position is in.

They bump up the wage range for store retail employees becuase they believe they need to attract the knowledge becuase they are in a specialty retail environment.

Your pay within that wage/salary range is determined by your prior year performance. You can only make the maximum in that range or you will not be paid less than the minimum in that range. If you suck, your pay does not increase. If you do well, then you get a raise.

Bottom line: Pay for people is determined by the market for the position.

Stefan said:

They bump up the wage range for store retail employees becuase they believe they need to attract the knowledge because they are in a specialty retail environment.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

I'm sure the "well-paid" REI retail employees who frequent this site would have something to say about this!

marylou said:

They bump up the wage range for store retail employees becuase they believe they need to attract the knowledge because they are in a specialty retail environment.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

I'm sure the "well-paid" REI retail employees who frequent this site would have something to say about this!

I kind of laugh at it too. But when you see the data, the retail employees at REI are getting slighter higher bump in pay than your average joe on the retail floor at Walmart!

That's an interesting question. Apparently the survey is random, and would therefor include mostly retail employees by the numbers.

I'd like to see the % of FT employees at Retail and I'd like to see a comparison of turnover % versus other retailers.

marylou said:

That's an interesting question. Apparently the survey is random, and would therefor include mostly retail employees by the numbers.

I'd like to see the % of FT employees at Retail and I'd like to see a comparison of turnover % versus other retailers.

Marylou, Marylou, Marylou...what am I going to do with you!

You can't get that information! Didn't you read the article at the beginning of the post! They won't share that kind of information with the owners!