bindings fit lowa civetta

bena

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many ski mountaineering bindings will accomodate plastic mountain boots. However, the rocker on a mountaineering boot is not compatible with all of them and at least one ski binding uses pins that only fit boots made specifically for it. Silveretta's fit almost all boots.

AT bindings are often compatible with mountaineering boots, but they're expensive. I think the Silvrettas are top quality, but they're pricey. Back on the market this year from Voile is a plate telemark binding that is often mountaineering-boot compatible, and the suggested retail (as quoted in Outdoor Retailer magazine) is $140. Check out http://www.voile-usa.com/bindings/vpii.htmlI'm intrigued by the Sweeper ski and binding setup from Karhu, but at $300 for the setup, I'll wait for a review before I splurge.Here's a picture of the Sweeper:http://www.karhu.com/images/sweeper_back.jpg

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: freeclimb9 ]

quote:

Originally posted by AlpineK:

You pay for what you get dude.
tongue.gif" border="0

Yea, that's profound. And true unless you're a thief. My personal hangup with the Silvretta bindings are that they're way overdesigned for use with mountaineering boots. Now, with a super-bitching AT boot that also climbs well like the Dynafit, they'd be super-sweet. And the ability to lock down the heel would be of great benefit to crank turns through any snow condition. But if a person just wanted something to tour with Civettas which are pretty low cut (at least compared to a ski boot), $400-500 is a lot of money to allow their attachment to a pair of skis. My $.02+.02 worth.have a great weekend.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:
$400-500 is a lot of money to allow their attachment to a pair of skis.

[hell no]

kind of inflated prices, huh? I checked a local high-priced gear store just yesterday and they wanted $230 for the yellow ones... EZ Go's?

I have a pair of skis with G3 Targas mounted (soft springs), and I was futzing around adjusting them to my tele boots (T3s). The whole setup is new (to me), and it turns out for the first couple of times I used it the cables were so long they were almost just dangling there - just barely short enough to get a little 'snap' when putting the skis on, and to hold the boot in the binding, but only with a tiny part of the extended tele toe actually in the binding. (Yeah, I know, stupid, but I was so psyched about having skis after 12 years of not skiing, and I'd never really tele'd before, so I didn't notice or didn't figure it out, whatever, I just ran out to start logging face plants.)

Anyway, I skied with this silly setup for two days and was doing fine. Then I fixed it and it's a whole different world. But this gave me an idea - if I can ski with so little of the toe actually in the binding, then why shouldn't I try skiing with a pair of crampon-compatible climbing boots? Turns out my climbing boots fit the tele binding just fine, only of course they don't extend into the binding. Is there a problem here that I don't know about? Why shouldn't I ski some approaches and stuff like this? If it is all good, then why don't people talk about this possibility more?

Not getting it/fleb