PUGET SOUND AREA PUB CLUB 6/24

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell if there's much interest in climbing tonight. Every week, there's no shortage of enthusiasm for arguing about where to drink beer, though, and lots of you have time to hang out in the pub for several hours every tuesday. It's damn near the longest day of the year, people. And we can drink beer in the woods (not before, but after belaying TLG) or go to town for some pizza and beer afterward!!! Maybe they're right, we are a bunch of drunks that like to talk about climbing rather than climbing.

We had a really fun time at the Exit 32 crags last night with about 10 people. Afterwards we moved to the North Bend Bar and Grill for some nachos and beer. Home kind of late.

Mattp took a bunch of good digital pics. Can't wait to see them.

Oh, yeah, the participants (that I can remember): AlpineK, Matt, mattp, dryad, Never_summer, wayne1112, ctuller, Kevin, and catbirdseat.

Nobody died. Some predicted disaster, but PubClub went climbing and everybody had a good time. Wayne was the leader of the pack, lugging a medium sized cooler full of coors light up there early in the afternoon to get a head start on us. Lacking a belayer, he self-belayed just about every climb on the two repo rocks before the rest of us showed up. Part-way into his cooler, he was ready for action and led Goddess and then cruised Little Hitler (Wayne is leading Little Hitler in the first picture).

420littlehitler.jpg

Catbird set a rope on Human Foot, Dave Schuldt put one on one of the Repo Climbs, and Ctuller lead Kinder and Gentler Carpet Bombing. Between stories and speculation about what had happened to the lost dog "Dakota" whose owners were desparately running back and forth along the trail calling their lost pooch, we took laps on these climbs and just as I eyed the last cruxy bit before the chains on Goddess, Wayne (my belayer) took a phone call from his climbing partner for the next few days. Hang on, Matt -- no it's OK climb on. Fred Beckey is known for requiring his partners to stop at every pay phone booth on the way to and from a climb so that he can line up his partners for the next trip, but Wayne was doing it while on belay! Picture's two and three show our refinement of this tactic.

420mambojambo.jpg

As you can see, we found that with careful juggling one can drink beer, talk on the phone AND belay at the same time (thus, climbing is almost like bowling - the only sport I know where you can have a cigarette in one hand, a beer in the other, and STILL throw the ball). Anyway, less than a minute after the last picture was taken, Dryad actually caught Brian, who took a leader fall and ripped out a stopper before being caught on a small TCU. We can definitely say it: TCU's work!

420repobelay.jpg

WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. ROCK CLIMBING WHILE HANGING OUT AND DRINKING BEER IS DANGEROUS!!!!! DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, TAKE CELL PHONES AND DOGS TO THE CRAG. THIS IS ONLY A JOKE.

mattp said:

Wayne was the leader of the pack, lugging a medium sized cooler full of coors light up there early in the afternoon to get a head start on us. Lacking a belayer, he self-belayed just about every climb on the two repo rocks before the rest of us showed up.

shocking.gif sounds like wayne!punk.gif cool tr. cool2.gif

Dwayner was there, hiding out, and stealing your beer. (I also threw a pine-cone at Dryad but she was too busy on the phone to notice.)

Later, I took these shots of all the action at the North Bend Bar & Grill where more people showed up. It was rockin!

1562group-med.jpg

420tsprayers10-med.jpg

420sprayers5-med.jpg

And Big Lou showed up to greet everybody at the door, pose for some pictures and autograph a few beer coasters!

1562biglou.jpg

Nice idea, MattP! I had a great time! Let's do it again!

- Dwayner bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif