waddington conditions

jefffski

i am planning a trip to waddington soon. this has been a low snow year and the issue of crossing the bravo glacier must be addressed. too early in the season and the summit pyramid may be full of ice feathers. too late and the crevasses on the bravo may be impassable (so i've heard).

So the q is, for this year, how late would be too late.

i would like to chat with anybody who has been in the area in the last 2-3 months or who has a considered opinion.

thanks,

jeff

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been up there in a few years, but from our experience I would recommend going in around the June time frame than the July/August since the Bravo Glacier could be quite the icefall later in the year and hell to navigate through. The bergschrund on the Bravo could be quite nasty if you wait too late in the year also. The route up summit pyramid is fairly well protected from rime ice (feathers), we had more trouble with ice falling on us cantfocus.gif from the wind blowing through than actually navigating through the ice. In fact, all around us was pretty heavy rime ice, except for where the route was.

Good luck and have fun. It's a super cool area, and the ski down from the Plummer Hut to the Tiedemann is pretty cool also... cool.gif