Middle fork Salmon in Idaho

MATT_B

Next week I am off for a trip down the Middle fork of the Salmon river in Idaho. I am thinking about taking a rack with and doing some climbing while we are on the river. Anyone have knowlege of the rock in this area? I know it is granite but not much else. One river description had this to say about the lower canyon:

"As you proceed downstream from Waterfall Creek you are floating through the exposed granite cliffs of the Idaho batholith, the nation's largest monolith of granite. The scenery will remind you of Yosemite Valley. Your neck will be sore from looking up at the soaring cliffs stabbing into the cobalt sky."

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my friends just got back from running that...

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooow water...tho there was still substatinal snow at the put in...

from what i hear the rock is chosss!!!!!!

plus i dont think i would want to be sporting my rack in the ww raft.....

have fun, that thing is dome rocking good!!!!!!!

Rafted it last year. rockband.gif Sure there is granite, but much of it is rotten and I didn't see too much interesting rock right down on the river. I'll bet your rafting buddies aren't going to stop every half mile so you can explore for climbs. But hey you are on vacation...climb on and enjoy bigdrink.gif.

SnailEye, don't let these schlamazels chase you off.

While there may be chossy granite along the MF (I haven't been there), if your travel plans put you in or near Riggins on the Salmon's mainstem (at US 95), then make sure your rack is in the pick-up vehicle. The gorge just upstream of Riggins (coupla miles or so) has multi-pitch routes on BOTH sides of the river in the moderate range and higher.

As a matter of fact, I heard rumors that the X-Games used the gorge several years ago for a climbing segment. Also, there's a limestone crag just upstream of Hell's Canyon dam, off the right side of the access road to the dam. Bolted single-pitch limestone.

None of this may be near your travel plan's itinerary if you're flying in to your put-in, but if you're driving...

Bug said:

There are some nice domes but a large percentage of it is grainy and loose. Look for the dark domes Luke. Where there is liken there is stable rock.

Yeah, don't forget about Slickrock, outside of McCall in the Payette NF. Still getting a fer piece north of your location, but it's a nice 10-pitch granite moderate trad climb, 5-6-ish i seem to remember.

And of course, still further north (along the SF of Clearwater River) is Lightning Dome and the Rolling Stone Wall. Mostly bolted granite face/friction routes, with odd trad moves/routes thrown in.

as far as i'm concerned, i'd forget plans of ambitious route climbing and just throw your shoes/chalk bag/small brush in a dry bag and have fun on the riverside boulders that sport soft, sandy landings. there should be more than enough of those to keep you occupied during down time.

cheers, and have fun - you lucky bastard. some day hopefully i'll have a chance to do dagger falls to corn creek, or beyond. some day...