Anyone driven to Cold Springs lately?

RHRoop

Has anyone driven (or tried driving) to Cold Springs in the past few days?

The FS is saying the road will be closed until July -meaning we aren't plowing it and it is considered closed until the snow is gone.

Appreciate any info you can provide including what type of car you were in and if it looked passable to a bigger SUV.

Thanks!

Rob

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Am doing Adams this weekend. Anyone know what how the roads are? I know the ranger station report on the web page says it's still under snow 4 miles from Cold Creek but maybe somebody has been up there anyways? Their last report was on May 20th.

South side is still snowed into just before Morrison Campground. There is lots of slushy snow on the road (except one section on a south exposure near Cold Springs Camground). Cold Springs has 3+ feet of snow on the ground. Take skis if you have them and skin up.

I spoke to the ranger today...Morrison Creek campground is open. That just adds 3 more mile to the trip each way between Morrison Creek and Cold Springs.

Anybody wanna join me? Leave Seattle early Saturday. Climb up to lunch counter, camp, and hopefully summit early sunday.

JGowans said:

I spoke to the ranger today...Morrison Creek campground is open. That just adds 3 more mile to the trip each way between Morrison Creek and Cold Springs.

Anybody wanna join me? Leave Seattle early Saturday. Climb up to lunch counter, camp, and hopefully summit early sunday.

Hey Gowans--me and a buddy are doing Adams this weekend too. Drop me a message if you want to link up. I'll be the guy in tele gear falling all over the place.

gapertimmy said:

boonecounty and i got "carded" today on st helens and had our permits checked, just cuz you don't go on the weekends doesn't mean the man won't be out there, because like trask, the man is everywhere

God what bullshit that is. Checking vehicles is one thing, but actually stopping people to check is horseshit.

Fishing was free. Climbing Adams still required the 15 clams. Quite a crowd on the south side this weekend but the ski down was worth all the work.

Road is open and in great shape to Morrison Creek. Probably wont be too long before you can drive a lot farther.

Well there was only one significant patch in the first mile & a half of road - however there is no where to park - one wonders if the forest service will start locking the gate that's just past Morrison Creek Campground. There is solid snow for the last half mile before Cold Springs and it's still pretty deep - I wouldn't expect the parking area there to be clear for quite awhile.