For Erik and other Tacoma folk

AlpineK

From the Stranger

.....I honestly thought that my points were simply common knowledge and that the city had long since come to terms with its image, its history, its advantages and disadvantages. If Tacoma is not a working-class, multiracial, military town with frontier predilections, then what the hell is it? All of the letters kept saying that I didn't know Tacoma, but none offered a credible alternative vision of the city. Almost all made the astounding assertion that the city was a cultural center, as exemplified by its new art museums and restored architecture. Tacoma may be many things, Mayor Baarsma, but it's not Athens. Besides, why all the fuss about art and history museums anyway? I much prefer military air shows, with their roaring jets, to the glass art by Dale Chihuly.

Tacoma, it seems, still wants to be what it has tried to become since the late 19th century, when a civic booster dubbed it the City of Destiny: the cultural and financial center of the Pacific Northwest. That honor eventually went to Seattle, but whereas once-competing financial and trading centers like Portland, Spokane, and Everett have accepted their fate, Tacoma has not.

Read the whole thing

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rolleyes.gif Seattle is passé and has been ever since Eddie Bauer went the way of the polo shirt. It might have been fun at one time but it's now as run down as the Seattle Center. It's vastly overpriced and a traffic nightmare. Tacoma is really looking good these days.

Dwayner said:

rolleyes.gif Seattle is passé and has been ever since Eddie Bauer went the way of the polo shirt. It might have been fun at one time but it's now as run down as the Seattle Center. It's vastly overpriced and a traffic nightmare. Tacoma is really looking good these days.

Yet you Tacoma folk want to be just like us instead of doing your own thing. Enjoy your lame ass glass Museum... sucker