Hey mountie bashers

dryad

Dru said:

is that what the FOTH 6th ed says or what? rolleyes.gif

7th ed brah...what you're not elite enough to have a copy? new chapter on cell phones in the backcountry and plastic boot aid climbing technique on monkeyface, sweet. 7th ed snaf.gif

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

catbirdseat said:

I'm not sure the exact reason for the shorts over polypro, but I think it is because it is a really cheap combo. After a newbie has shelled out for harness, helmet, crampons, axe, boots, etc., there isn't always cash left for $150 Schoeller pants.

whatever

its because really they want to run around in their underwear

but they are too timid to bravely expose the stains.

Wearing shorts over polypro is popular with mountaineer types because it is a very practical way to dress in the Cascades. In cool-wet summer weather or in the winter, it allows you to have some coverage on your legs without having to wear a shell pant that causes unnecessary sweating or binding up, and the shorts allow you to sit down without ripping your expensive capilene. The long underwear is not tough enough for rock climbing or real bushwacking, but for general hiking, back-country skiing, or light-weight mountaineering it is not a bad way to do. Just don't let somebody from cc.com see you.

I used to do that confused.gif, when I was a gumby. There is a major problem with it though. On a popular hike or climb, and it's too hot. You have to take off you poly-props from underneathe your shorts. Story:

In my gumby days Climb'n Bill was coming down from Sahale. I was leaning on a big boulder trying to take my poly-props off from beneathe my shorts. I would normally just expose myself to the mountain breeze but there was quite a few people up there. Anyways I managed to get one leg free, then when I got the left leg of my poly-props around my ankle, I lost balance from the boulder and started hopping around on one foot(the one that had a shoe on). Right as my shorts fell down to around my knees and the 2nd moon was full moon.gif, a ranger walked around the corner and saw me hopping around on one foot bare-assed in a meadow with my shorts around my knees and my props around my ankles. blush.gif It looked pretty bad.

Moral of the Story: DON'T WEAR SHORTS OVER POLY-PROPS!!!!! NEVER!!!!!! buy schoeller.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Hey Bill,

The trick is, be able to accurately judge how warm it's gonna be before you start your hike. One rule of thumb (that the mounties ought to teach, but don't) is if you're comfortable standing at the car waiting for your partners to get ready, then you're dressed too warmly.

I always leave cold. But, when you leave at 2:30 am from the car(freezing), and you are coming back in the heat of a summer day(very hot), you got to have layers(or schoeller, or something). Plus it's colder when your standing on a glacier(if theres a breeze), and when your hiking back on a trail it is much warmer.

Whats really cute is when the gaitors are on too! YEAH!!!!

Yeah, gators are cool. You don't need the convertible pant legs then (an effective layer, for Bill).

Perhaps you guys' problem is that you use dark colored polypro. Seriously hot in the sun. Light colored is insulated and reflective, like that shit the evil Saudi's wear. People wearing all that dark-colored stuff out mountaineering don't get it, or are self-inflicted fashion victims, or both.

Seriously, what's up with this Schoeller stuff? Are they some magical fabric that allows long pants to be as comfortable as shorts? Is this like the new Gore-Tex gearhead clothing of choice?

Edited by chucK

Yeah...it's magic.Schoeller Breathes.Schoeller Stretches.Schoeller Dries Fast.Don't need shells, saves weight( Might want shells for long downpour)Wear it SkiingWear it rock climbingWear it up glacier slogWear it in snow stormWear it running in summer (cool enough and keeps off bugs)Wear it running in Winter (warm)Wear it to workWear it to dinnerGood in light rainDrys fast after heavy rain.Durable.Doesn't retain oder.Did I miss anything?I thought it was all hipe until I used it. I'm hooked now.

Schoeller Pants or Poly Props under shorts?SchoellerEEK!

chucK said:

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Hey Bill,

The trick is, be able to accurately judge how warm it's gonna be before you start your hike. One rule of thumb (that the mounties ought to teach, but don't) is if you're comfortable standing at the car waiting for your partners to get ready, then you're dressed too warmly.

The Mounties DO teach that, but do the newbies listen? Nooooo! The dumb ones have to learn the hard way.

catbirdseat said:
The Mounties DO teach that, but do the newbies listen? Nooooo! The dumb ones have to learn the hard way.

A few weeks ago, I was on the rim of Mt. St. Helens when a group of Mounties (according to one of them) arrived. The leader was quite loud, barking orders and info:

"Don't go over there!!"

"Everyone sit over here!!!"

"We are leaving in 5 minutes because the weather is turning!!" (Actually this was true).

hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gif

And finally:

"We have to leave, I'm freezing my ass off!!"

Pretty much everyone in the group was wearing nylon pants, jackets, ordinary stuff. What was the leader wearing?? Shorts over polypro!! rolleyes.gif

Nice cold breeze up there. He was probably quite comfortable while hiking, but when you stop the cold will get to you unless you have another layer. It didn't look like he did. Everyone else looked like they were quite comfortable and having a good time.