Tommy Caldwell mangled by power saw

willstrickland

From R&I:

Top American climber Tommy Caldwell, who in August freed the hardest line on the Diamond (the sheer East Face of Longs Peak in Colorado), was badly injured in a home-improvement accident at his Estes Park, Colorado house on November 29. Reportedly, Caldwell had been using a table saw to build a platform for his washer and drier when he inadvertently cut off his left index finger just above the middle knuckle. Beth Rodden was at home with Caldwell and helped find and ice the severed tip before getting him to the hospital. Caldwell’s finger has since been reattached with pins, and he is making good progress. He is expected to return home from the hospital on December 7. We wish him a full and speedy recovery

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once, while packing for a California climbing trip, I sliced a bagel with a wonderfully sharp bread knife. The knife didn't seem to know where my hand stopped and the bagel began. Just like that, the trip was off (the tip of my finger nearly came off as well). While installing a metal roof, I stepped on a knotty 3/4 inch board and nearly fell through. I arrested my fall when the palm of my hand landed on a piece of roofing, which nearly cut my thumb off. In seventeen years of climbing, my worst injury was a really bad sunburn. Folks, it's safer in the hills than it is around the house.