Repair advice on a BD Express screw?

Have never had this happen on any other of my BD Express screws, but earlier this winter I lost the little retaining washer off the end of the "express" spindle (the critical piece which holds the knurled collar onto the spindle). Fortunately, I was able to save the knurled collar, as I probably would have been unlikely to locate it in the snow after the fact.

Anyway, I went to the hardware store thinking it would be easy to find a replacement washer which would provide a suitably snug fit, but no luck.

I doubt whether this is a common problem, but has anyone experienced this and found a good solution? Perhaps this screw needs to be sent into Black Diamond? Any constructive assistance will be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sphinx said:

rr666 said:

Is BD quality going to shit??

No, it's just ONE screw. And it's not like it undermines the strength of the screw either. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Sheeeww, that is good to know bigdrink.gif just want to make sure they still have their shit together snaf.gif

On a similar note...

The rubber grip on one of my Cobras has started to delaminate from the base of the shaft, and whenever I am plunging it snow gets jammed up underneath the rubber, worsening the problem.

I sent BD an e-mail, and they said:

"The Cobra tool was really not designed with that use in mind-it's considered a technical tool, rather than a general mountaineering tool. Plunging this tool is probably the last thing it would be good at, as you may have noticed."

So, remember, if a tool is good at climbing water-ice you aren't supposed to use it on alpine climbs. rolleyes.gif

Colin said:

On a similar note...

The rubber grip on one of my Cobras has started to delaminate from the base of the shaft, and whenever I am plunging it snow gets jammed up underneath the rubber, worsening the problem.

"The Cobra tool was really not designed with that use in mind-it's considered a technical tool, rather than a general mountaineering tool. Plunging this tool is probably the last thing it would be good at, as you may have noticed."

So, remember, if a tool is good at climbing water-ice you aren't supposed to use it on alpine climbs. rolleyes.gif

Sounds to me like you might be wearin' it out.

colindragon.jpg

Edited by Bronco

Colin said:

On a similar note...

LOL...wow,that's great, good job BD. So they assume that all of us who climb technical ice never climb technical ice where an approcah is required over snow!? wazzup.gif

According to them I should probably be keeping my viper's in a climate controlled glass case when not in use and only using them on farmed ice, eh? moon.gif