Funniest/Strangest ever

chelle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, but the exact same thing happened to me as Jake at nearly the exact same place in August 1996. My incident occured at the saddle just west of Seven Fingered Jack. In my case, it was a loud bi-prop Cessna-type plane. It was flying northward though. It came from Phelps Creek valley and disappeared into Big Creek valley. When the pilot flew by, he was so close (less than 200 ft), at about eye-level, and doing a slight bank turn that I could see him in the cockpit and he me. Nearly fell back on my ass. I heard the rumbling in the distance before he got to me, but I wasn't thinking he'd fly right past me! The plane was really moving too.

Jake said:

...an EA-6B, which had apparently rocketed over the col by 7 Fingered Jack and Fernow, fly by me at my altitude about a few hundred yards away and dive down into Phelps creek valley below

I've participated in projects long-lining bricks into Entiat trails. We'd send a mission plan in and the Navy would send back the status of that particular training route for our particular time slot. Otherwise, they keep pretty quiet about it.

low fast jets+thin long wires= well, remeber italy?

Interesting. Wires aren't the only obstacle out there either. I remember something about an A-6 flying into a cliff down on the Columbia River after he came out of the Palisades some years ago. I guess they figured the pilot got blinded by the sun and didn't make the turn downriver in time and hit the cliff.

It's great being out in the mountains watching military jets fly by, though.

i was climbing the fuhrer finger and just when we exited the top of the finger, saw a guy from somewhere in teh south (cause of his accent) pick-up a piece of plastic and ask what it was...i get over there and it is one of the pissing funnels for chicks...i told him what it was as politely as i could, but he wouldn't believe me... hellno3d.gif

eeehhh...no. I mean our Sherpa friend who was part of our team, but by no means our guide. Acctually he started showing signs of HACE at 18,000ft and had to go back down. Strong dude though and super fun, all he would do all day was listen to my walkman and look at himself in the mirror all day, but a great guy non-the-less!

never heard of that happening... i thought sherpas lived damn near that high anyways... nezineau

gapertimmy said:

jordop said:

The trail up Yosem Falls has its own particular subculture: tight jeans, foam/car parts hat, mirrored shades, black t-shirt with airbrushed wolf on it, stick for hiking pole, Coke for Gu cantfocus.gifyelrotflmao.gif

yelrotflmao.gif rofl, anytime in encounter a blue jeans in the outdoors i just die, free ski days at bachy bring out the south county trailer folks who wear cabellas jackets and tight wranglers with some sick old skewl str8t boards

I skied Bachy for a week spring break of '86 in a Mullet, Levi's, Tom Cruize sun glasses and a Nike windbreaker. Wasn't cold enough for my camo Cabella's parka and blaze orange cap. You shoulda seen all the snow bunnies me and my buddy has following us around. thumbs_up.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eeehhh...no. I mean our Sherpa friend who was part of our team, but by no means our guide. Acctually he started showing signs of HACE at 18,000ft and had to go back down. Strong dude though and super fun, all he would do all day was listen to my walkman and look at himself in the mirror all day, but a great guy non-the-less!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

never heard of that happening... i thought sherpas lived damn near that high anyways... nezineau

Well, I use the term "Sherpa" in a generic sense. He was actualy a Nepalese man from Kathmandu. It was weird though....

One morning he poped his head into our tent and said "I go down now, ok?" His face was completely swollen and puffy, so that you could barely see his eyes. We said yeah, lets go down. Less than a minute later he was allready 100yrds. below runnin through the huge talus feild for basecamp. He was either really worried, or really hard up for a big cup 'o Chang! bigdrink.gif

That also reminds me of an appropriate story for the thread.

After a tough day of skiing the deep and looking good rolleyes.gif me and my buddy (we were both 15 ok) retired to his parents rented condo place. Each of us laying on our own beds in the same huge pitch black bedroom talking about all the chicks we were gonna score with I felt a big old booger just needing to be set free. So I stick my finger up my nose and get a hold of him, haul his slimy ass out and promptly flick him into the darkness. My buddy stops mid sentance and says, "What the fuck?"

I say "what?" He says "something slimy just fell off of the ceiling and onto my lip" I start giggleing with anticipation and say, "what do you think it is?" He mumbles "I don't know but turn on the light" So I turn on the light and discover my errant buggar had some how landed on his lower lip. I started laughing and after a brief inspection he figured out what it was. His dad came in to see what the ruckus was and almost shit himself laughing so hard.

He sought revenge by pantsing me in the lift line the next day. madgo_ron.gif

Stefan said:

In July of 2001 my friend and I were hiking on our way back to the Bridge Creek trailhead after a successful ascent on the NE Buttress of Goode. We were five miles from the trailhead when......

....we came across a metal locker about 5ftx2ftx2ft, a 5 gallon jug full of water, the largest duffel bag I have ever seen, two garbage bags full of stuff, and two suitcases, both with wheels on them. We wondered, "What the hell is this?" All of a sudden a guy comes around the corner from the trail. It is 85 degrees out and he is wearing a full blown wool sweater and jeans. He is carrying a suitcase and a garbage bag. I kid you not.

We got to talking to him. He was going to Leavenworth on the trails starting from the Bridge Creek trailhead. He had no help. He had no horses. He didn't even have a backpack. He said he would carry something for about a mile, go back, get some more stuff, and then carrying it the mile down the trail. To carry his stuff it took 5 trips.

We were 5 miles from the Bridge Creek trailhead when we were talking to him. It took him one week to reach that distance. He talked as if he was stoned.

I found out later the rangers by Stehekin came across him and they thought he was a walking meth lab. They inspected his stuff and it just was all his worldly possessions. No drugs.

I am pretty sure we met the same guy, coming back from Goode!

Alex

two pitches from the top of West Crack, right where it can join up with Crescent Arch. Two guys named Sol and Jimbo were coming up. One of them leads the pitch and sets up the anchor to belay. He yells "on belay" and begins to yard up the rope. Pretty soon he pulls the rope all the way to the untied end and sees his buddy coming behind him. "I see how it is" was his reply.