FYI

AllYouCanEat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to my red Beckey Schmeckey, the Middle Fork Cascade River Road (actually, it's called the South Fork Cascade River Road) is at 16.2 miles just beyond Mineral Park. Ergo, the big log might affect access to this road and make a hike in to Formidable or the south side of J-berg about 3 miles longer...unless the F.S. comes out of hibernation and does something about the windfall.

Catbirdseat and I were on the Cascade River Road yesterday. The windfall has been removed. The road is open all the way to the Eldorado Trailhead, whereupon it is gated (as usual at this time of year). No snow anywhere around the Eldorado T.H. Crews have been re-graveling and modestly regrading from about mile 10 to Eldo T.H. We came upon a major three-foot wide, eight-foot deep sinkhole right in the middle of the road right around a bend about halfway between mileposts 17 and 18. If they don't fix it, with another good rain that 100-ft stretch of road may erode away even more. CBS put a large branch in the hole to warn drivers of it. It is nearly invisible when coming from the west (in fact, I straddled it with my car when we saw it at the last second). I stuck my 24-ounce Foster's beer can on the branch as a bright reflector to warn of the danger. "Foster's: Australian for Danger."

South Fork Cascade River Road is drivable (but a tight squeeze) at least until a stream ford at 6/10ths of a mile. A high clearance vehicle could easily cross this ford.

Incidentally, on the Lookout Mountain Trail we did not run into permanent snowcover until 3,400 ft. About a foot of new at the 5,700-ft top. First party this year to sign the lookout register. Avalanche conditions were considerable (saw some areas where avys had occurred quite recently). Caused a few small slides ourselves, but we were never endangering ourselves.

Oh, and I seem to have lost my driver's license at the Lookout Mountain trailhead. Bugger! Oh well, it expires in May anyway.

AllYouCanEat said:

10 miles or so from the parking lot to Cascade Pass is a big log. If you head up there bring a big chainsaw and if you cut it out let me know. Not cool to come upon that sucker at 5 in the morning.

I saw that log in the road as well. You would have needed a chain saw with a 3' bar and a peevee to clear the road. I left mine at home. cry.gif