Report: U.S. Finds Missiles with Chemical Weapons

MtnGoat

wow, the CIA is now planting 20 or 30 foot long missiles full of poison gas to make the Saddam look like a bad guy!

Time for the backpedaling to begin! "We never said he didn't have chemical weapons"........"everyone always knew"......" we were only asking for proof of proof"..... just a few suggestions for starters. In a few years, you'll not find a soul who will admit anything else.

Reuters

Monday, April 7, 2003; 10:25 AM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. forces near Baghdad found a weapons cache of around 20 medium-range missiles equipped with potent chemical weapons, the U.S. news station National Public Radio reported on Monday.

NPR, which attributed the report to a top official with the 1st Marine Division, said the rockets, BM-21 missiles, were equipped with sarin and mustard gas and were "ready to fire." It quoted the source as saying new U.S. intelligence data showed the chemicals were "not just trace elements."

It said the cache was discovered by Marines with the 101st Airborne Division, which was following up behind the Army after it seized Baghdad's international airport.

U.S. Central Command headquarters in Qatar had no immediate comment.

The United States and Britain launched the war against Iraq to rid the country of weapons of mass destruction. Iraq denies having such weapons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47645-2003Apr7.html

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MtnGoat said:

Time for the backpedaling to begin! "We never said he didn't have chemical weapons"........"everyone always knew"......" we were only asking for proof of proof"..... just a few suggestions for starters. In a few years, you'll not find a soul who will admit anything else.

it's not backpedaling if that's what's been said all along. and a u.s. police state in the middle of the middle east was definitely worth it! rolleyes.gif

Hey Goat,

There are a certain number of people for which there will never be enough proof. There are a certain number of people who will never admit (and in some cases even understand) that the UN dramatically failed to enforce its ban.

China, Egypt, Syria, Israel, Iran, and North Korea are also suspected of having undeclared stockpiles of chemical weapons. Libya, Sudan, Pakistan, and India are also suspected of having chemical weapons facilities or capabilites. This of course does not include all those countries who are believed to have admitted to all of their stockpiles. For example, the US is in the process of incinerating our 30,000 tons of nerve gas, and Russia proposes their 40,000 metric tons (quantity is speculative, not confirmed) to be destroyed by 2012.

Just want to point out that the "smoking gun" they found was nothing more than pesticide. The allied coalition looks like a horse's arse right now. Until they find WMD, they're going to have a hard time convincing liberal wankers like me that the war was justified.

JGowans, what's your source? This morning it was reported to be Sarin and Mustard Gas, has this changed, and who's assessment is it? One would hope the US military would get some serious confirmation before announcing things, lest they be caught crying wolf.

MtnGoat said:

said the rockets, BM-21 missiles, were equipped with sarin and mustard gas and were "ready to fire." It quoted the source as saying new U.S. intelligence data showed the chemicals were "not just trace elements."

This is the same US intelligence that was fooled by obvious photocopied forgeries about African uranium?

Off_White said:

JGowans, what's your source? This morning it was reported to be Sarin and Mustard Gas, has this changed, and who's assessment is it? One would hope the US military would get some serious confirmation before announcing things, lest they be caught crying wolf.

Weird. I just read it on Yahoo! and now it seems that they've pulled the story. I can't find it now. I'll keep digging.

RobBob said:

Off...the difference being that we didn't have an altercation with those nations in 1991, and the UN didn't put specific rules and sanctions on them as a result...right??

Yep, that's true Robbob. I just presented data, everyone can draw their own conclusions. Of course, China, India, Pakistan, Sudan, and Iran have ratified the Chemical Weapons Convention, and are likely in violation. Israel and Egypt have signed but not ratified, and North Korea or Libya did not sign. For myself, looking at the big picture, 20 missles in Iraq does not yet justify the tens of billions of dollars and lives lost, or constitute much of a world wide threat. I do think they're likely to find some more, but at this point I think we're still just fishing for excuses to justify what we wanted to do for a whole range of other reasons. But of course now I've strayed into opinion, and which I'll freely admit will require more facts to change. I'd guess that's true for your opinions too. Lets see what the next few days brings.

JGowans said:

Off_White said:

Weird. I just read it on Yahoo! and now it seems that they've pulled the story. I can't find it now. I'll keep digging.

I was wondering if you were referring to the missles recently found. I noticed CNN currently has the story only as a Breaking News headline with other info, suggesting more tests are ongoing and preliminary tests were positive.

Off_White said:

JGowans said:

Off_White said:

I was wondering if you were referring to the missles recently found. I noticed CNN currently has the story only as a Breaking News headline with other info, suggesting more tests are ongoing and preliminary tests were positive.

No, the yahoo sotry specifically talked about the possible chemical site with the drums of chemicals that they'd discovered. it then explained that it was confirmed to be nothing more than pesticide and then had a few quotes talking about the embarrassing declaration which proved to be nothing at all. I wonder why Yahoo! pulled it?

MtnGoat said:

wow, the CIA is now planting 20 or 30 foot long missiles full of poison gas to make the Saddam look like a bad guy!

Idiots who think that make me puke. Whoever honestly believes this is dumber than I thought possible. It is, however, a nice catch phrase, and a neat way to blame the US for everything. Just like the chickenshits like France, Germany, etc, etc, etc. the_finger.gif

Sphinx said:

MtnGoat said:

Idiots like you make me puke. If you honestly believe this then you are dumber than I thought. It is, however, a nice catch phrase, and a neat way to blame the US for everything. Just like the chickenshits like France, Germany, etc, etc, etc. the_finger.gif

call me crazy, but i think this was supposed to be a sarcastic remark aimed at us liberals as opposed to him actually suggesting that CIA was planting these missiles. am i missing the joke here?