Slideshow-Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding Classics with Gary Brill, Nov. 30

The_North_Face

In Europe all the car makers sell these small, bad ass diesel engines that have a lot of power and get great milage. Too bad they don't meet EPA standards.

I've never seen a Gary Brill presentation, but I hear he's a wee bit dull as a speaker. On the other hand I did see a Jim Bridwell(SP?) slide show at TNF and he was totally incoherent, and he showed all the pictures from his trip to Alaska including the pre-trip shopping at Costco.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: AlpineK ]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Backcountry! Like I said, I have just enough knowledge about internal combustion engines to be dangerous...never said effective. 1700 psi? cut your finger off it would!!!

I know this is a climbing site, but what are "glow plugs" if that kind of pressure is enough to "self ignite" the fuel during a compression stroke? What kind of temps does a diesel run at? I have never owned one, just known people who have. Hmmmmm.....

Seven-TEEN thousand PSI...mommy make it stop burning it hurts...

Thankfully the mid duty series Cummins dont have glow plugs like the PowerJoke does...It uses a grid heater to heat the intake air for cold starts...Yep more than a couple engines ruined from fractured glow plug pieces...

Whats nifty is the Excursion has the option to get it with a PowerJoke...the Excursion is built on Ford 3/4 Ton extended cab pick-up chassis...talk about yuppy overkill...a 3/4 ton chassis AND a diesel...wow.

Mr. Backcountry:

Thank you for your nice comments about my engine of choice. Please contact a mechanic yourself, I think you may have a screw loose. I feel sorry for you and all of your dodge driving brothers for not knowing what it is like to sit behind the wheel of a real truck (ie FORD) looking at us from behind is not the same thing. Please keep that in mind the next time I pass you up.

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:
Will there be refreshments served? Cheese and wine I presume, I see there's no shortage of cheese

Wassupwiththat?

It thought your primary source of trans. was a big ass hi-rise ford van. I bet you'd be happy with 12 mpg.

[Wazzup]

-->REAL<-- diesel use compression ignition...

Case study: I ride a snowmobile...we have a 26' v-nose enclosed trailer, with 4 sled it weighs 6500#. There are 3 of us who take turns towing during sled season. I have a '96 Dodge 12valver, a '98 Dodge 24 valver, and a '97 Powerstroke...

Towing up Snoqualmie and up the northside of Tiger Mtn...we are all within just a couple of mph of each other...but the kicker is when we ditch the trailer, us Dodge boys get about 3-5 more mpg than the Powerjoker does...

They all are decent trucks, I just like the fact that Cummins lists thier service life before MINOR overhaul at 300,000 miles...shoot at 122K, I've only got it broke in...

That is an excellent motor will - I rebuilt one 3 times before I got it right. frown.gif" border="0 See "shade tree mechanic 101" I assumed with the extra's the van came with you'd be running a 460. The point was, its hypocritical for to trash on the newest SUV when you're vehicle isn't much better and I thought I better call you out on it.

Just wanted to mention I just finished getting hosed by PEMCO and the adjuster kept saying, "at least you aren't dealing with state farm" like they would give me vasaline or somethin. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Oh yea..back to the topic on slideshows. Mike Gauthier gave an excellent show on Sat. for the AAC at the Museum of History and Industry in Seattle. He gave a lot of interesting facts about how RMI has monopolized the guiding business on Rainier. If you get a chance to go to one of his shows I'd recommend it....he's talked at TNF and REI too.

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

Wassupwiththat?

It thought your primary source of trans. was a big ass hi-rise ford van. I bet you'd be happy with 12 mpg.

[Wazzup]

Negative my man. My primary source (i.e. daily) is the bike and public trans. I get about 18 from my 300ci 6cyl. Pimp wagon has some new decorations in the side door courtesy of a State Farm agent. I guess if you're going to get hit by someone, an insurance agent is the best...sure emabarresed the hell out of her though.

• 3 weeks later...

You people are absolutely ridiculous. You all supposedly climb. Well go out and do something rather than act like little kids. Beating on companies like the North Face is idiotic. If it were not for companies like TNF you people wouldnt have half the gear you own. The North Face pioneered this sport. If you really wanna blame someone blame yourself, the consumer. Oh by the way, go look through your closet, I bet there is some nice North Face gear in there.

I can diss whoever I want. I own North Face gear but it is all substandard stuff. I quit buying their products a few years ago after I found out that it was all hyped. Yes I am a consumer. No I dont own a SUV being pumped into the market. I dont have anything against the people just trying to work somewhere and having a job working for TNF. mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

Dizzy I oughtta [Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by dizzyme456:
If it were not for companies like TNF you people wouldnt have half the gear you own. The North Face pioneered this sport. If you really wanna blame someone blame yourself, the consumer. Oh by the way, go look through your closet, I bet there is some nice North Face gear in there.

Let's see here, there's two pieces of TNF gear in my closet...and that's where they generally stay because they're subpar. I got both on closeout/blowout...a windstopper fleece jacket and a down jacket, I paid a total of $55 for both. Both of them , as well as my Marmot, Patagonia, and Moonstone gear have the logos covered. I've ranted this rant before, consumerism is bad, so kindly stick it up your ass kid.

Pioneered the sport? What the sport of extreme yuppie mall shopping? You fucked any credibility you might have had with that asinine remark. I think it's clear who's got the closet full of TNF.