CC.Com Book Club

Dru

MtnHigh said:

Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett thumbs_up.gif :tup

Have you read anyone other books by Follet? I was so impressed by the Pillars of the Earth. That I read some other book by him book right after and found they had a lot of the same themes, tones, etc thumbs_down.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're currently working through the Calvin and Hobbes books for bedtime reading (though I'm not convinced it's the sort of thing a five-year-old needs to be exposed to) just started "Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat"

And reading "Legs" by William Kennedy, after the kid goes to bed.

Frank Smythe's "The Six Alpine/Himalayan Climbing Books" and the latest Nat. Geo.

I thought The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged were good reads with some good thoughts, but try taking the philosophies to the extremes. I like how she thought how great it was that man could smoke cigarettes with his amazing ability to control fire. Didn't she die of lung cancer?

"The Cosmic Code: Quantum Physics as the Language of Nature"

A profound and poetic book that Heinz Pagels wrote before falling to his death on Pyramid Peak ( He was both a physicist and a climber) in the 80's. Here's the last paragraph:

"I often dream about falling. Such dreams are commonplace to the ambitious or those who climb mountains. Lately I dreamed I was clutching at the face of the rock but it would not hold. Gravel gave way. I grasped for a shrub, but it pulled loose, and in cold terror I fell into the abyss. Suddenly I realized that my fall was relative; there was no bottom and no end. A feeling of pleasure came over me. I realized that what I embody, the principle of life, cannot be destroyed. It is written into the cosmic code, the order of the universe. As I continued to fall in the dark void, embraced by the vault of the heavens, I sang to the beauty of the stars and made my peace with the darkness."

AlpineK said:

A discussion on a thread here a couple weeks ago inspired me to reread the Narnia books.

I've been rereading them off and on for several months, I'm down to the last one. Definitely more of kids books, but entertaining enough for adults. Pretty quick reads.

freeclimb9 said:

The last three good books I've read have been "Sweets" by Tim Richardson, "Close Range" by Annie Proulx, and "Gould's Book of Fish" by Richard Flanagan. I read instead of doing TV time, so I go through a lot of books.

I'm still waiting on the book store to get me a copy of "Loaded" by Sabbag; It's been 7 weeks already. madgo_ron.gif

I started "Close Range" towards the end of last year, I couldn't get thru it. Too gritty, not that interesting I thought.