COLD CONDITIONING PRACTICES

being from Russia i am often finding that i am having hire cold tolerance than other non Russian climbing partner. being now living in canada and other country for some time some cold tolerance has left my body and i am starting training for cold tolerance. with hire cold tolerance i am finding less need for gear such as down jackets and am often carrying lighter sleeping bag and maybe less food as well and this is good for alpine tecnique. yellaf.gif

to train for cold tolerance i am often subnerging in salt water after work for as many as too minutes at times. perhaps three or less days each week i am doing this practice after work in seawater i think to be quite cold but i am not sure of farenhite calculation to explain to american as you all are. thumbs_up.gifi am also not using much heat in home during winter and am often sleeping with window open and fidning that this is doing much to make one strong against the cold. thumbs_up.gifas well it is saving much in heating bills that you americans are using so much for!

when i am finding difficulty being in mountains much which is not often i may use bivy bag outside with thin sleeping bag or liner during work week for sleeping. i am finding these practices all very helpful but there are certainly many idea one could use for such a training and i am now wanting to now what it is that you are doing to train for cold american climber!?

i am thinking perhaps many of you are not doing such training as you are finding it to be not as comfy as soft chair with starbuck mocha but some of you may also be of stronger stuff than this and i wish to now!

milosh k thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just building up my resistence to hypothermia. I figure if I get it enough times, then eventually I will either become completely hypothermic and never have to worry about it, or it'll just feel nice and cool.

Currently training to be strongest hypothermic person. wazzup.gif

Miloshk,

In training for long alpine routes one can learn from animals that are more suited for extreme cold environments. In addition to your cold weather training, during the summer months it is important to build up many layers of fat so that the body can live for many days without food or water. Practice eating a weeks worth of food in one day and then not eating the rest of the week. In case of being stranded due to severe winter storms one can live many days in a tent if you can force yourself to hibernate until the weather has cleared. In training for this event spend at least three to four days asleep. If you are tempted to wake up do not open your eyes just keep sleeping for three to four days. This way you can conserve vital energy needed to achieve the climbing objective and descend safely.