• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

Robbob-

No, it was not your posts that led me to shut down the discussion. It was the repeated posts from Dru and his avatars, and some others, where the only message was "I have a right to spray on this thread no matter what you, Mr. Moderator, may think." They weren't even pretending to address the topic of the thread, but simply posting bullshit, and urging others to do so. I have clearly explained several times in both public and private statements (the latter sent mainly to Dru), that we have received specific requests to control the banter on that thread and that I am goint to attemt to do so, and that I ask that folks cooperate and stop fighting to be able to simply dump spray on it. Indeed, there are several people who have indicated interest in continuing the discussion but who said they would not do so unless the discussion was going to be severely moderated. And we have been asked to delete some of the angry criticism of an "obvious hoax," but we refused to do so precisely because we feel that people should be able to say what they think on this bulletin board. But I discussed this thread with others before I took any action, and the off-topic banter was something that we felt we could try to reduce without stifling anybody's right to express themself. Can you really say that Dru's right to pile on extra posts so that he can claim another page top should outweigh the concerns of somebody who is interested in using this board to explore a hot topic that is obviously of interest to so many people?

Like Erik said - if you or Dru or anybody else just has to spray, simply copy any portion of the thread that you like and paste it to the spray forum.

this whole thread reminds me of the samuel beckett play with the three dead people trapped in dumpsters in hell not realizing they are dead yet...

mattp the Rainier Speed record, has no useful purpose or information content, and you should let it mutate peacefully and obtain some metarelevance, rather than trying to fossilize it in a dead state yellowsleep.gif i freely admit that once you statted deleting i decided to see how berserkins i could make perkins (insert trolling graemlin here)

do you really think any "NEW EVIDENCE" is gonna come forwards? what exactly are you trying to preserve?? at least if a real boxing_smiley.gif had been allowed to erupt perhaps there might be entertainment value for us desk bound slobs

i only made one avatar post to that whole thread by the way boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

PS snaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifsnaf.gifHCL.gifyelrotflmao.gifrolleyes.gif

Dru-

Believe it or not, we have been engaged in private discussions with some people who ARE interested in bringing more information to this discussion. We HAVE discussed with them exactly how that might be done, and whether THAT THREAD might be the appropriate place.

I agree that a ten-page rant wherein all the important points were made in probably no more than 25 out of over 200 posts has almost by definition lost focus and that there are few people who are going to come into the discussion at this point and try to read the whole thing, and I agree that there is nothing "sacred" about it. But the fact is that I hiave disussed the thread with many people and there are lots of readers who feel it WAS a valuable discussion and who have thanked me for intervening. But I have no witnesses, of course. I can supply the GPS coordinates, if you would like.

pshaw

I spit on your attempts at "immoderation" silly Ppppppppppppperkins! the_finger.gif

If they have some relevant info tell them to get Hans Blix on it.

Why haven't they discussed it with Gauthier and not you

After all he is the recognized authority

Did they send you signed letters and refuse phone calls or personal meetings????

"If they want to reply to it they can just copy the relevant portions and start a new thread" [sic] hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.giffruit.gif

Censorship: what is it?

As I indicated already, we received several requests to delete some of the angry criticism of Dan. We refused to do so, even though we thought some of that discussion was unnecessarily hostile, because we felt that folks should be able to express their opinions on this board. After receiving complaints about the level of general B.S. in the thread, I discussed it with others and decided that I could ask folks to stop spraying completely unrelated banter on the thread without stifling anybody's right to express theirself. Is it "censorship" to require someone who wants to post snafflehounds and pagetops to do it somewhere else on this board? Is that truly stifling anybody's right to express themself?

For those people having trouble with the meaning of words there is a handy website:

www.dictionary.com

I use it all the time ... like a few months back when I looked up the word capricious yellaf.gifyellaf.gif

I like the word Intemperate, bigdrink.gif to RobBob. I will try to work it into my conversations this week.

Also metarelevance is pretty cool too, bigdrink.gif to Dru. In fact I think this very post is only metarelevant fruit.gif

fern said:

For those people having trouble with the meaning of words there is a handy website:

www.dictionary.com

I use it all the time ... like a few months back when I looked up the word capricious yellaf.gifyellaf.gif

I like the word Intemperate, bigdrink.gif to RobBob. I will try to work it into my conversations this week.

Also metarelevance is pretty cool too, bigdrink.gif to Dru. In fact I think this very post is only metarelevant fruit.gif

9870 [sic] bigdrink.gif

fern said:

www.dictionary.com

cen·sor n. A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable.

cen·sor·ship n. The act, process, or practice of censoring.

boxing_smiley.gif

\Mod"er*a`tor\, n. [L.: cf. F. mod['e]rateur.] 1. One who, or that which, moderates, restrains, or pacifies. --Sir W. Raleigh.

Angling was . . . a moderator of passions. --Walton.

2. The officer who presides over an assembly to preserve order, propose questions, regulate the proceedings, and declare the votes.

3. In the University of Oxford, an examiner for moderations; at Cambridge, the superintendant of examinations for degrees; at Dublin, either the first (senior) or second (junior) in rank in an examination for the degree of Bachelor of Arts.

4. A mechanical arrangement for regulating motion in a machine, or producing equality of effect.

I dont see anything about censorship, or acting as a censor, in there

tongue.gif

Attitude said:

boxing_smiley.gif

exactly - I don't see the words intimidate into silence in those definitions but I do see the word remove

AND I don't think telling someone to spray elsewhere in the same forum is very intimidating, nor is it suppressing them, or removing their posts.

bring it! boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifyellaf.gifGeek_em8.gif

Edited by fern

Dru said:

fern said:

www.dictionary.com

9870 [sic] bigdrink.gif

Dru, you seem to be stricken with the [sic]cups. Try typing whilst balancing on your head for a few minutes and see if that cures them.

Anyone that argues that thread wasnt spray is just full of shit.

Here's one you'll all like - END OF DISCUSSION grin.gifrolleyes.gifhahaha.gif

Who gives a fuck who sprayed on what. It's full of holes and to claim it's some sort of fuckin good thread worth reading is just fucking gullible and ridiculous on mattp's and other moderators that agree. Get off your short bus if you can - looks like you've fallen and can't get up.

I'm gonna smoke a doobie the_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gif

RobBob said:

Dr Flash, you have tamed into a mere pup of your former self...

Nah, DFA just has ( shocked.gif ) work to do. The Doctor hasn't been able to devote enough time and caring to the craft of late. Perhaps things'll slow down at work again and Dr. Flash Amazing can come galloping back into Cascadeclimberstown on a shining silver spray pony, firing off his six-guns of wit, wisdom, and equal-opportunity egomaniacal derision.