flash or onsight?

Distel32

at first I thought flash only referred to boulder problems, but I've seen it used for sport routes also. onsight only for trad and sport.

If you know the difference please let me know because I'm getting confused. they technically mean the same thing, so why not use one term for all? hahaha.gifsnaf.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Onsight means you walk up to a route or boulder problem, don't know anything but the name and grade. You don't know anything about the moves. You climb it, and your partner doesn't give you any beta while you climb. On a flash, you have never climbed the route, but you have seen a video of it, or your buddy told you about the moves, or how hard it is to clip the third bolt, or whatever. This applies to any route or boulder problem. In general, the difference between the two is noted only by the mags.

Flash, Onsite, Redpoint, Pinkpoint, Bluepoint, PurpleStick, 'Scend It, Stick It, Climb It, Lead, Follow, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.......... yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

Like cracked said, it's only important to the magazines. It's all climbing, and that and having fun are all that's really important, right?

So how was Bishop? How long did it take you to get down there?

just about 15 getting down and 16 coming back because we had to go through 4 snow storms, it was lame. buttermilks were fantastic, and the happys were cool, but not even close to the buttermilks. rock is sharp but not terrible, and we ran into some cool people, peter croft and brian benson (sickle climber and nice guy). I have to get back though, we had to come home a day early because of rain, torrential fuckin' downpour in the desert, but still fun mushsmile.gif

To me both are the same and to argue is a silly thought. I would say they are the same.

I flashly onsighted pinkpointed redpointed a slinpoint of a red flashy climb. All in all it matters as a climb. If it means more than that to you then you must define your own purist (no purist as some might think) definitions.

What happens if you get beta on a mountain route? Is the a shitpoint?

Distel32 said:

cave- doesn't really matter dude calm down, pent up anger? I was just curious as I've seen both used before with no clear distinction that's why I asked. enjoy your argumentative train of thought bigdrink.gif

no argumentative train of thought. I think you view something that does not exist other than my real thoughts. cantfocus.gif

I'd say it depends. A true onsight is more impressive than a flash where the climber gets full beta, has watched videos/other climber, etc. It depends on the route. I'd say as long as people admit what they did and don't try to pound their chests, it doesn't really matter.

gym climbers like to claim (TOPROPE) redpoints when they can TR it wihout falling. when you tell them thats not a real redpoint they get put out!!!

one Ontario girl went so far as to list "onsights" for following her boyfriend up a route, on her 8a.nu scorecard!!! yellaf.gif there was some heavy spraying from put upon sprrt grrlz of Canada who felt DEMEANED that someone was FALSELY CLAIMING ROUTES and had a higher scorecard rating than they did yellaf.gifboxing_smiley.gif

there was also a thread about Chris sharma sendin realization where some deluded newbie claimed that "the definition of redpoint is to start at the bottom and climb to the top clipping all the bolts as you go, and Sharma skipped clips, so its not a redpoint" yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

rolleyes.gif