Your public lands and cows

Jim

On your way to the peaks you may have to deal with more cow patties. I often work with these issues and this is another bad proposal by the Bushies. hahaha.gif

BLM, which admisters 262 million acres of federal land has announced new rules to "streamline" the grazing permit process.

Currently grazing fees on federal lands bring in less than $6.5 milion per year while the costs of administrating the same grazing cost $63 million. The new rules would lower the fees for grazing on federal land from $1.43 per animal unit month (AUM) to $1.35.

The costs of administering the grazing does not cover the cost of grazing to upland, wetland, and riparian habitats, aquatic systems, fish, etc. One of the bigger problems with the program is that the fees do not match market rates in the private sector, i.e. - a subsidy for ranchers, more environmental damage, and money out of your pocket to run the program.

The proposed rules also would allow grazing permitees to hold title to portions of public (your) land and would significantly reduce the ability of the public to appeal decisions.

The comment meeting schedule and proposed rule changes can be found at: www.blm.gov/nhp/news/regulatory/index.htm

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire Ochacco mountain range in oregon is open range for livestock during parts of the year...

most states already have a large section of public land that are open to livestock... like almost the entire state of Wyoming... don't want them on your land, then fence them out...

rolleyes.gif

catbirdseat said:

Bush sucks. The old system screws the taxpayer and the proposed system makes it worse. The same goes for the mining laws. The public always loses out.

Oh, but we should definitely be subsidizing ranchers, cause as we all know, raising fucking cattle is the best food-per-land deal around. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif IDIOTS.

I'm not sure if your serious - but no, grazing cattle on public land is no bargin, for the public anyway. Over 90% of cattle are stockyard raised these days at a lower cost. There are problems with that of course - take a read of "Fast Food Nation" and you'll never eat ground beef again.

Private ranching for grass-fed cows. No problem. Just get the public land leaches off our land.

Winter said:

Uhhh ... that would be the guys that own the cows for the 6.5 mil and you and me for all the rest of the costs of the program. Pretty neat huh?

I suspect as much, but they may claim to be paying for it via another blm program?

My point is using land to allow cattle to graze is bullshit, period. It's what a huge portion of the rain forest is being ripped down for. Why? So this fat ass nation can eat mcdonalds cheap. I'm not a vegetarian, and never want to be one. I enjoy a nice fat steak every once in a while, or a burger for that matter. But the fact remains that the price we pay in order to let fat asses eat beef every single day is quite high, but in terms of public cost and cost to the environment.

the prairies supported a higher number of buffalo

than currently exist on the feedlots and range land of north america

but the prairies had the other animals too

passenger pigeon

timber wolf

mammoth

human

kill the cow and bring back the buffalo

Fejas said:

The large portion of BLM has already been logged or will be logged off, so if we have no controle over that then why should we worry about our forrests being destroyed by cows... the chain saws will do more damage...

My point is that in many parts of central and south america the chain saws are being used to destroy the forests in order to let more cattle graze. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Jim said:

take a read of "Fast Food Nation" and you'll never eat ground beef again.

rolleyes.gif

I just finished that book, and I still think organic beef slaughtered by the local butcher is fine. I will certainly never eat fast food again, but your point is a reactionary generalization at best.

Besides, the author still likes In 'n Out Burger, or did you miss that at the end ? rolleyes.gif

don't get me wrong here... I don't think that a large number of cattle should graze all the nutrious vegitation off the BLM lands... but its for better reasons then, oh no I just steped in cow shit... I would appose it because of the deer,elk, and other wildlife, not something a selfish as save it for the humans...

Yea, go with the small beef producers if you can find them. Internet is helpful.

And the cows do screw up the habitat for deer, elk, fish, etc. Intermountain areas (west of Rockies) did not evolve with large herds of grazers so the plants are particularly susceptible to cow damage. Elk and deer are primarily browsers (think shrubs) not grazers (think grass) and they never approached the density of the buffalo on the plains. Ecologicaly a bad idea.