Somone settle a bet

mtnrgr

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would actually be pretty easy, but it would depend on what part of the range you tried to traverse. People routinely walk from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie in sub 24 hour times without running so you should be able to do it crossing the spine itself. I guess if you tried to cross the range going across the Pickets you may as well forget it though. Or were you talking N/S and not E/W?

Up the Cascade River, over Cascade Pass and then down to Chelan would technically be crossing the Cascades, wouldn't it? I can see that taking less than a week.As for walking a road:Seattle to Leavenworth is 104 miles via Highways 522 and 2. 104 miles divided by 7 days is just under 15 miles/day. Your friends must be gimpy if they don't think that can be done.

[ 11-02-2001: Message edited by: ScottP ]

quote:

Originally posted by mikeadam:
...if you tried to cross the range going across the Pickets you may as well forget it... E/W?

independant of the "could it be done in less than a week.." thing....

My brother in law has a little book dedicated exclusively to traverses in the pickets. He told me about a NS travers they did that started at Hanagen, went over easy pass, climbed/trtaversed then slopes of challenger....the middle I don't remember.... terror was in there somewhere.... anyways, they end up finishing coming out that lake east of McMillan... Awesome! What an undertaking! But anyways, this book had a whole bunch of these traverses, mostly "non-techinical" (right!) and it even had a little map that came with the book that was laminated... How fun! Anybody know the name of this book? Know where to get it (besides my brother's house?)

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:
Uh, couldn't you ask your brother-in-law for the name of the book? And how he got it?Or did it just appear on his doorstep one morning with the cover ripped off?

Of course it did rolleyes.gif" border="0

I believe the book was "Routes and Rocks in the Mt. Challenger Quadrangle." Back about 1980, a buddy and I read in there that the easiest approach to the Luna Creek Cirque was to hike up Luna Creek. It was quite a thrash. If you tried to hike East-West accross the North Cascades through low elevation valleys without trails, it would take MORE than a week.

quote:

Originally posted by mikeadam:
...if you tried to cross the range going across the Pickets you may as well forget it... E/W?

independant of the "could it be done in less than a week.." thing....

My brother in law has a little book dedicated exclusively to traverses in the pickets. He told me about a NS travers they did that started at Hanagen, went over easy pass, climbed/trtaversed then slopes of challenger....the middle I don't remember.... terror was in there somewhere.... anyways, they end up finishing coming out that lake east of McMillan... Awesome! What an undertaking! But anyways, this book had a whole bunch of these traverses, mostly "non-techinical" (right!) and it even had a little map that came with the book that was laminated... How fun! Anybody know the name of this book? Know where to get it (besides my brother's house?)