split boards

alienPDX

I am very close to picking up a Voile Split Decision twin tip board (173cm) and am looking for some feedback from people who have actually used this or other split boards for bc touring/ mountaineering. From what I hear so far, they ride great, the fat sticks with ascension skins provide awesome grip and float on both powder and crust, it's possible to make (wide) telemark turns with them in ski configuration, but the big downside is that sidehilling/traversing can be a pain (isn't it always?) since the ski edges are spaced so wide. Any thoughts?

I know this post is going to elicit plenty of spray from skiiers out there, so here is the answer to why don't I just use a tele or randonne setup-- I used to be a skier, but have found boarding to simply be A LOT MORE FUN.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FUcckk snowboarding. Though: I ski but have a lot of friends who ride and use a split board. The general concensus seems to be that they ride fine on pooder and soft snow but not so great on hard pack or crust due to insufficient lateral stiffness. I think you would probably not want to try to tele with a split board because: a. the bindings aren't made for that - not strong enough or stiff enough, b. boots aren't stiff enough, c. there's not inside edge on split boards - which might not matter in deep soft snow, and d. split boards are funny shaped skis when split and probably don't turn or ski for shit, and the flex is probably fucked up too, not to mention the bindings are probably mounted in the wrong spot. That's what I think.

Also if you don't want to throw down for the Voile job and you have an old board lying around, you can get kits for modifying your old board into a split board. That way you can see if you like it without spending all the $$

The edging definitely sucks. I have had to be really careful setting track for someone following w/ split board to make sure I don't sidehill them too much. In rolling terrain, esp with trees, it can be very difficult to get around with those waterskis on your feet. I've never seen someone more frustrated than a splitboarder around treeline. Of course once in the open bowls, they tear it up. Gets frustrating waiting for the assembly/disassembly process though.

I wasn't referring to actually riding down any significant vertical making tele turns, only thinking that it might be possible for short downhill slopes during touring/skinning up. Sorry I wasn't specific. The board I was looking at does have an inside edge in ski mode.

I have heard the same about lateral stiffness on hardpack as well. I was figuring that crampons and a standard board would be in order for those conditions anyway. Thanks for your thoughts.

The split board is a very good compromise which attemps to solve the very essential problem with snowboards: they suck for actual travel in the mountains. Snowboards are a lift toy and that's it. Sure, you can do BC with them by hiking your ass up, but for actual travel through the backcountry skis are the correct (no, not preferred, just correct) option. I think as long as riders are willing to accept that a split board is a good substitute for snoboard+snowshoes they'll be fine. When they expect them to be a substitute for skis, well,they just aren't.

Spray away boarders.

JoshK said: I think as long as riders are willing to accept that a split board is a good substitute for snoboard+snowshoes they'll be fine. When they expect them to be a substitute for skis, well,they just aren't.

Spray away boarders.

While I am a boarder, I'm not about to spray, cuz what JoshK says, is... um, true. wink.gif

Actually, the Voile system works quite well & I disagree with those that seem to think that the splitter cannot be a substitute for AT or Tele. It however does take several outings to familiarize yourself with the set up and get it totally dialed in.

I think the Voile system is superior to Burton, because of its simplicity. The Burton system is difficult to assemble, particularly when the cold is inhibiting your manual dexterity. They're also prohibitively expensive. Burton splitters, however, ride just about as well as their solid boards do. Consider getting a Prior board instead. Better ride, but uses all the Voile hardware. Also, the Voile skins suck (only hooks on one end of ski). Use Burton skins instead (call BRTN rider service to order a pair). By the way, all splitters come with a full metal edge around each ski these days.

Anyway, I finally went the cheap route, split an older board of mine (a Burton...ha!) & attached the Voile Split Kit. Although, I do not have an outer metal edge (skis are reversed for touring), I've found that using the ski-crampon attachment on steeper and icy slopes greatly alleviates the side-hilling/traversing issues cited earlier in this thread. With this set up, I have yet to experience a tour where those using AT or tele have an advantage over a splitboard. I'm sure ultimately I might run into this situation. But, in the rare instance that I do, both skiers & splitters would probably be better off with crampons on their boots & an ice axe in hand anyway.

On the descent, I generally have considerably less difficulty riding in any snow condition when compared those on skis, including those with a lot of experience. If a home-made board performs to my satisfaction, a factory-made board can only perform better. The consensus is that snowboarding is easier and more versatile than skiing, and you'll find yourself taking on slopes, chutes, drops etc. much sooner than you would if you were to punt around on a pair of skis.

Lastly, though there is no substitute for the feel of strap bindings & soft boots, for longer trips involving some element of mountaineering, consider getting yourself a pair of AT boots & Voile plate bindings. The stiffer boot & binding will give you more long-term support and also make touring and traversing easier.

Now go get that splitter!

How fast can you switch from the touring "mode" to full board? On trips where travel is more the goal rather than climb up, ski/board down, this can be quite a large use of time. AT it takes only seconds and tele it's already done.

JoshK said:

How fast can you switch from the touring "mode" to full board? On trips where travel is more the goal rather than climb up, ski/board down, this can be quite a large use of time. AT it takes only seconds and tele it's already done.

I'm always amazed when this argument comes up. Who cares! You're out there to have fun. What's the problem with waiting for your buddy to switch from ascent to descent. Big deal. Take in the scenery and enjoy yourself!

Peace

Here is a review for split boards I did earlier this year.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=119308&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I have problems with traversing on a hard pack. It just doesn't bite into the snow as much as I want. With some practice and cussing I have been able make it up most tracks that skiers have put in now. I am probably going to get the crampons for the harder snow traverses.

It takes me under 5 minutes to convert the board from 2 planks to 1. I use the Mountain plate bindings which are easy to get in\out. I loose some performance but if your in the deep stuff it doesn't matter.

I have been very happy with my board. I was surprised how well I could handle the board with a 45 pound pack while decending from muir.

Tyler said:

JoshK said:

I'm always amazed when this argument comes up. Who cares! You're out there to have fun. What's the problem with waiting for your buddy to switch from ascent to descent. Big deal. Take in the scenery and enjoy yourself!

Peace

If you are out for a multi day traverse with lots of ups and downs, and trying to make good time, I bet you'd care smile.gif

• 3 months later...

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyler said:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JoshK said:

Peace

If you are out for a multi day traverse with lots of ups and downs, and trying to make good time, I bet you'd care

Been doing the splitboard thing for about 5 years in Utah and I'd have to agree that for travel versus hiking for turns, the split board is disadvantaged. The fastest changeover tele/AT skier will always be faster than the fastest changeover splitboarder. If you're a boarder and it's you best option, it's not a huge problem, but it's a problem. Definitely beat snowshoes. Also, in breakable crust conditions, at least on Rockies snow, snowboarders will have a huge advantage on the descent.

Wow, talk about bringing up a dead subject. FWIW, after doing the ptarmigan traverse on skis the other week, I wouldn't take a split board on that if somebody paid me. It would be a horrendous pain in the ass, considering the amount of up & down and traversing.