SAR on Hood!

sketchfest

Search Is On For Overdue Snowshoer

Volunteers Look For Portland Man

PORTLAND -- Search and rescue experts are looking for an overdue snowshoer on Mount Hood.

Fred Frauens left Timberline Lodge at 10 a.m. Sunday to explore the Hogsback area. His wife, who was waiting at the lodge, reported him missing in the around 6 p.m.

Frauens is an experienced hiker but has little mountaineering experience. Apparently, he was poorly equipped, was not prepared to stay overnight and was not carrying any electronic devices, such as a cell phone or emergency locator.

The freezing level dropped to 3,000 feet, and up to four inches of snow was expected Monday.

The Clackamas County Search and Rescue Unit, as well as volunteer searchers with Portland Mountain Rescue, Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue, Multnomah County Explorer Post 631 and the Mt. Hood Snowmobile Club, joined the effort on Monday.

Anybody know this guy?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. The Oregonian article says they're concentrating on searching in the hogsback area... but it was so socked in Sunday, I seriously doubt he could have made it up that high. I skinned partway up the south side with a friend on Sunday, starting about an hour after this guy started. Visibility was so bad that we turned around a few hundred feet above Silcox shortly after noon - you really couldn't see a damn thing. I've been up the south side more times than I'd care to admit, and I doubt that I would have been able to navigate all the way to the hogsback without using a compass... unless maybe the cloud level was just above the top of the Palmer... ?

Was anybody else up there on Sunday? We saw a handful of climbers heading down. Hope this guy's okay.

Roger said:

Huh. The Oregonian article says they're concentrating on searching in the hogsback area... but it was so socked in Sunday, I seriously doubt he could have made it up that high. I skinned partway up the south side with a friend on Sunday, starting about an hour after this guy started. Visibility was so bad that we turned around a few hundred feet above Silcox shortly after noon - you really couldn't see a damn thing. I've been up the south side more times than I'd care to admit, and I doubt that I would have been able to navigate all the way to the hogsback without using a compass... unless maybe the cloud level was just above the top of the Palmer... ?

A compass? isn't that one of those 10 essentials thingies? Only posers and gumbies carry that crap. cantfocus.gif

It was quite a whiteout Sunday afternoon. Got thick just above the top of Palmer and stayed that way until Timberline. It all moved in a bit before 11am. Some of the worst visability I've ever been in. I remember myself thinking the whole way down - so this is how people get lost up here...

Hope everyone endss up ok.

Ya, it was clear above the Palmer, at least while we were there. Tried Leuthold's but kept getting pelted hard by falling ice after the sun hit the ridges, so we turned back just before the hourglass. Otherwise solid snowpack and good climbing conditions.

I was climbing on the N. Side Sunday. We saw that stuff come in. It wrapped

around the mountain, then came over it. We were above the clouds until 2-3 p.m.

Then all hell broke loose. I've never seen wind like wind like this. We drove to

Timberline around 6 p.m. and there was an inch of new snow on the ground. The

forcast Sunday was for partly sunny skies. tongue.gif

yeah - the visibility already sucked at Timberline when we started up a little before 11:00, and it just kept getting worse, along with the wind. It seems unlikely that this snowshoer would have made it very far up the hill before getting off route in that whiteout.

This probably explains why we haven't heard anything from iain all day...

My climbing partner & I were last off summit from South side slog and damn near last off the upper mountain via South. Ran into a guy with yellow snow shoes & a snow board at the top of the Palmer @ about noon. About the right age. We spoke briefly, but he didn't indicate he was headed for Hogsback. His quote was "damn, the higher I go, the higher the clouds seem to go". No prob. getting down the ski run from 8500', even in very low vis, as you can follow out of bounds wands for the ski area. Wouldn't want to board in those conditions though. Can't image the guy we met going up as we indicated very high winds and strong potential for intense suffering. But who knows.... hope they find the lost guy & he is safe.

climbed the south side on sunday. Sumitted at 9:30, storm blew in at 9:00, cloud level 9,500. Talked to the guy on his way up at 11:00. He was at 9,000. I told him that the clouds leveled at 9,500 and it was sunny up above. Seemed like an experienced climber, so i said nothing. I heard this report yesterday about him never coming back down.

skyclimb said:

...Talked to the guy on his way up at 11:00. He was at 9,000. I told him that the clouds leveled at 9,500 and it was sunny up above...

Are you sure this was the guy and are you sure of the altitude? His wife said he left the lodge (6,000 feet) at 10:00am....that would be 3,000 feet in one hour! It can be done, but the conditions were not optimal for it on Sunday (I was decending with b-rock and funguy at this time). The snow was soft and the wind was blowing.

Just wondering.

Craig

Just to update you guys.....

the search for the missing snowshoer on Mt. Hood has been called off permanently. the sheriff made the decision today to "demobilize search efforts" due to "extreme avalanche danger" and white-out conditions. Officials met with the missing man's family and explained that the survival rate at this point is "zero".

BACKGROUND

Press Release from: Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Dept.

*** UPDATE *** MEDIA COORDINATOR CONTACT FOR SEARCH ON MT. HOOD

March 3rd, 2003 9:15 AM

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED: The Clackamas County Search and Rescue Unit and volunteer search groups will be searching this morning for a missing 49 year-old Portland man who was snowshoeing in the Hogs Back area of Mt. Hood but failed to return at 5:00 p.m. last night. Fred Frauens, 49, left Timberline Lodge at 10:00 a.m. yesterday and failed to return at 5:00 p.m. His wife, who was waiting for him at the lodge, reported him missing at about 6:00 p.m. The Mt. Hood Ski Patrol did a hasty search of Timberline's boundaries last night. Mr. Frauens is an experienced hiker but not a mountaineer. He has very little winter survival experience and was poorly equipped. He does not have any electronic devices such as a cell phone or a mountain locater unit (used to send out a signal in the event of an emergency.) Searchers with Portland Mountain Rescue, Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue, Multnomah County Explorer Post 631 and the Mt. Hood Snowmobile Club will be heading out at first light this morning. The weather today is forecasted for freezing below 3000 feet, wind 10-15 mph, and snow of up to 4 inches. The command post is set up near Timberline's Day Lodge.

Contact Info: Sgt. Nick Watt, Clackamas Co Sheriff's Dept

rbw1966 said:

My condolances to his family and thanks to the SAR folks for all their hard work and the risks they took in trying to find this fellow.

I echo RWB. Thanks for putting in all the hard work and risks, SAR, and my condolences to the family and loved ones.

It's a sobering thought, this guy probably headed out for an fun day of noodling around with his snowshoes, meet the wife in time for drinks and dinner...

• 3 weeks later...