Obnoxious Climbing Roomies... Please help!

adventuregal

Help!! My roommate bought a harness and shoes yesterday and has a new plan to climb with me ALL the time. Outdoorsy stuff isn't and has never been her thing. She openly admits this, and claims she's in it for the 'cute guys'. Come on now, honey... rolleyes.gif I'm seriously afraid she's gonna hurt me or herself. I don't want her belaying me or anyone else if she's gonna be trying to pick up guys at the gym/crag at the same time. How do I deter her from starting the sport? I can see how us newbies often get a bad rep. Arghhh!!!!! madgo_ron.gif I'm not a bitch, I promise. I know, I know... I should be happy I have another person to climb with or just ignore her and do my own thing. If only you knew her... This was a random roomie placement. It's bad news, but I'll survive. Thanks for letting me rant. I needed that. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! confused.gif

My other thought was to take all her gear, sell it, keep the money and let her think it got stolen... evils3d.gif Thoughts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please clarify. Is your objection related to your perception of your room mate as not having the aptitude or commitment for climbing? Or is it because she expects you to be her instructor and you don't enjoy teaching newbies? If she is serious about this, steer her towards one of the climbing courses taught by such groups as The Mountaineers, Boealps, or Washington Alpine Club. Let them deal with her.

You could try saying something like:

"Outdoorsy stuff isn't and has never been your thing. You openly admits this. If you are only in it for the 'cute guys', I'm seriously afraid you're gonna hurt me or yourself. I don't want you belaying me or anyone else if you're gonna be trying to pick up guys at the gym/crag at the same time."

If you aren't ashamed to think it, you shouldn't be ashamed to say it.

My objection is that she is doing this solely for the men. She doesn't particularly enjoy physical exertion, the outdoors or challenging herself. She pays no attention whatsoever to anything an instructor or I try to tell her... It's annoying as well as dangerous. She tries a route once, gets a few moves up, then wants to come down. I would be happy to help her out (I am a recent newbie as well, so I wouldn't do much teaching.) if she actually wanted to CLIMB. But all she wants to do is check out the hot guys. It's embarrassing for me, not to mention the fact that I don't feel safe climbing with her. Argh. madgo_ron.gif

My other thought was to take all her gear, sell it, keep the money and let her think it got stolen... Thoughts?

I like your style! thumbs_up.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Seriously, don't let her belay you if you think she's gonna hurt you.

I would 2nd what scottp said.

Good luck!

If you know any, "hot climbing guys," set her up with one. After a little while the guy will realize that she not really into climbing and a pain in the ass to boot. He'll ditch her, and then she'll hate climbers and climbing. evils3d.gif

If you don't know anyone to set her up with I'll help out. wink.gif

AlpineK said:

If you don't know anyone to set her up with I'll help out. wink.gif

You sure you're up for the challenge??? shocked.gif I wish I could take ya up on that... Only problem: I'm at school in MN for the moment. I'll have to find someone to occupy her around here... rolleyes.gif Good idea though. wink.gif

Where's miloshk antonopov on this one??? I'm sure he has a great training regiment so your roomie can be titled "traning to be strongest annoying climbing roommate" or something along those lines. Tell her that she needs to eat four meals of red meat per day if she really wants to be a climber. HCL.gif

Distel32 said:

Where's miloshk antonopov on this one??? I'm sure he has a great training regiment so your roomie can be titled "traning to be strongest annoying climbing roommate" or something along those lines. Tell her that she needs to eat four meals of red meat per day if she really wants to be a climber. HCL.gif

There you go. And tell her climbers have to live in a tent for days at a time without showers, consequently they all stink. One wiff and she'll be looking elsewhere for guys.