MSR Fury Tent - too good to be true?

542east

Anyone got one of these guys? Weighing in at just six lb/10 oz, for a four-season two-person tent it's gotta be skimping on something. Any problems with waterproofing, durability, etc? How's it stand up to nonstop wind? For $400 it better be the real deal... Looking for a new tent, the weight factor on this one is tempting. Or should I just stick with the classics, NF Mtn 25 or Mtn Hardwear Trango?

MSR Fury

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a few here on the site have some of those sporty super light single wall tents, i'm sure they will chime in.

If you are looking for a light weight shelter, i think a trip to Pro Mountain Sports would be well worth your time, Jim could give you the scoop on all the products out there so you can make an informed purchase.

The MSR Fury is their renaming of a classic Walrus tent- i think it was called the Rapide- it is a 3-pole body, like a classic I-tent with an extra pole in the shoulders. It's a totally bombproof, smallish interior, double wall tent.

It is still a seven pound winter tent- there are better options out there weight wise- it depends what you need it for- the Fury would be great for two months in Alaska but way too much for most trips in the Cascades.

We just got the new Black Diamond Betamid lite in at the shop- under two pounds, packs up the size of a 1 quart water bottle- sleeps two, solid wind / weather shelter. you'll want to put in some tunnel vents at the peaks to reduce condensation though.

I have an integral designs MK1 XL. It's just over 4 lbs and is nice n' sturdy. I personally think single wall is the way to go since they are easier to pitch and require a smaller footprint. I haven't had any problems with condensation that a double wall wouldn't have had.

IMO, Vaude makes a better tent. They've got a new series in which the inner wall is supported by the outer, and it's fitted with exterior poles that attach by looping shockcord into speedlacing hooks (you can set it up wearing mittens). Total setup time is a couple minutes, max.

The Vaude tents I am familar with are still heavier than an ID/Bibler style single wall tent. Are these new ones you speak of any lighter? I looked on their website and saw the "galaxy series." Is there something newer than this?

-josh

JoshK said:

The Vaude tents I am familar with are still heavier than an ID/Bibler style single wall tent. Are these new ones you speak of any lighter? I looked on their website and saw the "galaxy series." Is there something newer than this?

-josh

yea, the new tents are not the Galaxy series (I can't recall the name. I saw them at the Winter Market, ans spoke to the Vaude guys). And they're heavier than a single wall. The one I saw was much like TNF VE24, but, again, with the inner wall suspended from the outer, and exterior pole setup.

• 3 weeks later...

These Hilleburg tents seem a bit pricy, but the weight is great. So how fast do they set up? Breathability?

I love my 2.5 person double walled VauDe tent. Though it weighs in over 7lbs, it goes up very very fast w/ two poles. The inside wall hangs from the fly so it goes up in a storm w/ out fighting the fly or getting snow inside.

It also is one of only 2 tents I've seen w/ a snow-skirt. The double wall + snowskirts keeps you pretty warm.

I can also double up the poles for extra heavy snow-loads and extended base-camp stays.