Rope solo anchor ethics question

ScottP

Let's say I wanted to rope solo a clean or free route at Index and the only good anchor I could get at the base included some pins. I'm talking about ground level here; placements that would only affect sit starters.

I'm curious about the

prevalent opinion
regarding use of pins in a situation like this.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like where exactly??

i would think that most of those pins would be oriantated in a weird diro.

and at the lower town, there is something "CLEAN" that can be used for all the pitches.

and i doubt that you could not find another suitable placement other then pins.

bigwalling said:

There are trees everywhere at Index. Make your anchor one of those.

Yeah... like those at the base of the Dark Crystal...or the base of the Waterway area...right, I'll use those.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here. Just realistic.

Erik..I can't give you specific examples. It was more of a speculative question. And as Lambone sez, I'm referring to when it would be the only good anchor.

Edited by ScottP

ScottP said:

bigwalling said:

There are trees everywhere at Index. Make your anchor one of those.

Yeah... like those at the base of the Dark Crystal...or the base of the Waterway area...right, I'll use those.

HEY SCOTT, IN YOUR INTIAL POST YOU MENTIONED THE LOWER WALL AND THAT IS THE ANSWER HE GAVE YOU. NO NEED TO BE SNIDE.

AND WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE OUT THERE?? THOSE SNIDE TREES MAY BE BIGGER.......

BUT WHO KNOWS?!

erik said:

i would think that most of those pins would be oriantated in a weird diro.

and at the lower town, there is something "CLEAN" that can be used for all the pitches.

and i doubt that you could not find another suitable placement other then pins.

My 2 cents. Most pitches I've rope solo aided at the LTW you can easily find clean anchors or tie off to bolts a little ways up the climb. Then there are a couple routes I've tried that I found required some funky girth hitches on rocks that I felt was less than bomb proof. So I added a couple pins smashed in at foot level to make the anchor bomb proof.

PM me with the routes you are interested in then if I've aid soloed them I'm sure I can give you the anchor beta.

Edited by TimL

answer: Get a "good anchor" somewhere higher than the base. Or just use a jive-ass anchor at the base, then clove hitch one of the better placements higher up (but be aware of the fall-factor potential on the next placements). Pounding pins is fun, but someone, somewhere, will get pissed about hammering on an Index climb. Besides, leaving the hammer at home lets you chestbeat later.

(caveat: pound the pins, then rub dirt and moss on the slight tell-tale marks after you clean the pins. Hehe)

Erik,

HEY SCOTT, IN YOUR INTIAL POST YOU MENTIONED THE LOWER WALL AND THAT IS THE ANSWER HE GAVE YOU. NO NEED TO BE SNIDE.

My intitial post didn't specify where at Index.

AND WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE OUT THERE?? THOSE SNIDE TREES MAY BE BIGGER.......

This winter, and they weren't.

I'm not trying to be snide or argue.

Just looking for a straight answer. "Use trees" seemed a tad to general and dismissive.

ScottP said:

Erik,

My intitial post didn't specify where at Index.

This winter, and they weren't.

I'm not trying to be snide or argue.

Just looking for a straight answer. "Use trees" seemed a tad to general and dismissive.

werd my bad on the reading comprehension...9 hours at work and still going! ugh!

and really freeclimb's advice is the way to go!!!

here's my two cent's that i'm sure nobody will like. step one: drill 5/16" holes, make them shallow and really low to the ground, insert 5/16" r.b.'s and equalize. better yet, just drive some rebar into the dirt and tie off. or even better, just free solo well below your limit, wear a walkman and rock out to TOOL while climbing. Fuck, just grab a partner or consume copious amounts ofbigdrink.gifbefore setting off. rockband.gif

HeadSpace said:

here's my two cent's that i'm sure nobody will like. step one: drill 5/16" holes, make them shallow and really low to the ground, insert 5/16" r.b.'s and equalize. better yet, just drive some rebar into the dirt and tie off. or even better, just free solo well below your limit, wear a walkman and rock out to TOOL while climbing. Fuck, just grab a partner or consume copious amounts ofbigdrink.gifbefore setting off. rockband.gif

I just recently finished a 70+ footnail-up of a bigleaf maple in my backyard using vintage but unused soft iron pins I inherited. The anchor was two 12 inch x 1/2 inch galvanized nails driven foot-level low into the trunk and equalized. A length of chain and an old locker got me back to the ground. I didn't do the copious quantitities of brew, but there was some C. sativa involved.

anyone know what the bolt anchor is for on that overhanging boulder just to the climbers RIGHT (oops) of the 3/4th class chimney up to the big ledge on the Great Northern Slab? just below Sonic Reducer. Noticed them in early January. Looks like you'd have to rap off of a tree to get to them if you were setting up a toprope.

Edited by Bronco

Ya know people who get uptight about pins driven at the base of the LTW are pretty anal in my book. I can understand getting all lathered up about somebody nailing a clean crack where it affects the climb, but at the base who gives a frick.

I mean c'mon it's an old quarry and mostly a land of ugly destruction. There's freekin bolts right next to good cracks and bright red slings hanging all over the place.

Gimme a break! If you're looking for a pristine climbing experience at Index you be confused man.