Yeah!!! Come on NOW!!!

Necronomicon

and -and this other time-hehe-- we had a small alcohol fire goin' in the lab, and some jock tries to put it out by blowing real hard and liquid fire spilled over the counter and flowed down the floor towards the drain. stupid jocks get'n burned and stuff.

high school chem teachers are brave souls.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iain said:

we also took a chunk of pure sodium out to a rock quarry and used a bike tube to launch it into the middle of the lake. We could see our shadows on the trees as we ran away.

Sodium is a Periodic Table elemental metal with atomic number of 11. Sodium does not exist in nature except in its more stable compounds like sodium chloride (salt), or sodium carbonate. Sodium metal is typically produced by electrolysis of molten salt, yielding a light, lusterous, metal, similar to mercury’s silvery appearance when kept under inert nitrogen or argon atmosphere. Sodium metal is an extremely reactive chemical with water, alcohols, or most halogen-containing compounds, thus it is essential for safety of those handling Sodium to isolate it from all sources of water or those other chemicals with which it can react explosively. Most sodium reactions with other chemicals produce by-product hydrogen gas, which due to its explosion potential, can be destructive.

Source

iain said:

and -and this other time-hehe-- we had a small alcohol fire goin' in the lab, and some jock tries to put it out by blowing real hard and liquid fire spilled over the counter and flowed down the floor towards the drain. stupid jocks get'n burned and stuff.

high school chem teachers are brave souls.

In recent years, considerable interest in ethanol as a fuel extender, octane enhancer, oxygenate, and a neat fuel has increased dramatically because of concerns associated with conventional transportation fuels. The elimination of tetra-ethyl lead in gasoline during the mid-1980's and the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments have required refinery operations to provide oxygenated gasoline in order to "fill the octane gap" and "reduce" carbon monoxide emissions and smog in the nation's most polluted areas. Currently, ethanol and methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) are the two oxygenated fuels most widely used in Federal and California reformulated gasoline, and winter oxygenated gasoline in the Western United States. Ethanol may be considered as the attractive oxygenate over MTBE as ethanol produced from biomass is a renewable fuel while MTBE requires isobutene, a fossil fuel, for synthesis, and ethanol has roughly double the oxygen content than MTBE on an oxygen to carbon basis.

There are fundamental and practical reasons for examining the oxidation of ethanol. Approximately, 6 to 10 volume percent of reformulated gasoline consists of ethanol as required by current federal and state urban air quality standards. As regulations on pollutant emissions become stricter, the amount of oxygenated fuel like ethanol in gasoline could increase. Therefore, we need a full understanding of the reaction pathways by which ethanol is oxidized and of the pollutant species that it may produce. This understanding will allow industry and regulatory agencies to better evaluate the feasibility and relationship between the combustion process and pollutant emissions when using ethanol.

The objective of the current study is to develop and validate a detailed chemical kinetic model for ethanol combustion by comparison with ignition delay data, laminar flame speed data, and species profiles from ethanol oxidation in a turbulent flow reactor. Reaction pathway and sensitivity analysis are used to help identify those reactions and their accompanying rate constants that exhibit a strong influence on the ethanol oxidation process. Initial modeling results show very good agreement with the data sets obtained from the three different experimental systems. The initial analysis of the model indicates that high temperature ethanol oxidation exhibits strong sensitivity to the fall-off kinetics of ethanol decomposition, branching ratio selection for C2H5OH+OH=products, and reactions involving the hydroperoxyl (HO2) radical.

Source

This is RURP:

Thinker said:

Sounds like someone in Rhode Island got ahold of your chemistry lab notebook and tried that out last night....

You clowns think it is really funny, don't you? People die in a tragic fire. Post recipes for burning and explosions.

Big funny joke!

Necro., your words of a few days ago in which you apologized for making light of human suffering are obviously insincere. I think you should give up the little act of being the scary necro death guy and come up with a new avatar.

RURP has spoken.

RURP said:

This is RURP:

Thinker said:

Sounds like someone in Rhode Island got ahold of your chemistry lab notebook and tried that out last night....

You clowns think it is really funny, don't you? People die in a tragic fire. Post recipes for burning and explosions.

Big funny joke!

Necro., your words of a few days ago in which you apologized for making light of human suffering are obviously insincere. I think you should give up the little act of being the scary necro death guy and come up with a new avatar.

RURP has spoken.

Actually, sincerely, this time around, I'm not making light of human suffering. I was simply posting info for some chemical reactions. I was someone else who brought up the Rhode Island thing, not me.

iain said:

Necronomicon said:

I was someone else who brought up the Rhode Island thing, not me.
Hah! By that wording, a clear use of an avatar.

And then Mr. Iain contributes his own "compassion" (from another topic):

"Maybe Great White should go play a benefit concert in the palace "

In all of the frivolity of "spray" (a questionable luxury on a climbing bulletin board) why don't some of you people grow up and think before you scoff at tragedy?

ah yes the usual mother rurp comes along to set the children straight.

As someone who has seen the devastation of severe burns and who has been trained to deal with burn victims, I can say that the lucky individuals in that disaster are dead and that it is truly an apocolyptic scene in R.I. I would not want to live through that. I'm not making light of the situation with the coping mechanism of humor.

Nevertheless, I don't think I was demonstrating a lack of respect and find it far too easy for people to simply post the moral high ground stance each time on this board. I will apologize to freeclimb and your etheral and awfully ivory-tower self if the phrase offended you and remove it, but there have been far worse ones here in relation to our impending war and hate and glass parking lots and cartoons about dead muslims, and you have been silent about it.

RURP said:

iain said:

Necronomicon said:

I was someone else who brought up the Rhode Island thing, not me.
Hah! By that wording, a clear use of an avatar.

And then Mr. Iain contributes his own "compassion" (from another topic):

"Maybe Great White should go play a benefit concert in the palace "

In all of the frivolity of "spray" (a questionable luxury on a climbing bulletin board) why don't some of you people grow up and think before you scoff at tragedy?

Great White sucks anyways. Now Whitesnake, they fuckin' RULE!

iain said:

ah yes the usual mother rurp comes along to set the children straight.

As someone who has seen the devastation of severe burns and who has been trained to deal with burn victims, I can say that the lucky individuals in that disaster are dead and that it is truly an apocolyptic scene in R.I. I would not want to live through that. I'm not making light of the situation with the coping mechanism of humor.

Nevertheless, I don't think I was demonstrating a lack of respect and find it far too easy for people to simply post the moral high ground stance each time on this board. I will apologize to freeclimb and your etheral and awfully ivory-tower self if the phrase offended you and remove it, but there have been far worse ones here in relation to our impending war and hate and glass parking lots and cartoons about dead muslims, and you have been silent about it.

This is RURP:

Grow up. As one who claims to have been around burn victims (as have I), you should be the last to be crass.

Face it....you and your pals are out of line. I'm not your mother but someone should point it out to you. I once had a similar callous smart-ass attitude but had it graphically pointed out to me and I am ashamed and learned my lesson. I'm very willing to pass the wisdom on. Take it, friend, and grow to a better place.

As far as the other violent nonsense (dead Muslim cartoons or whatever) on this site, I neither condone it nor have the time to respond to it. The latter would be a full-time job. That you perceive your comment as relatively mild in relation to the others is irrelevant. "RURP" rarely participates in this site but when he does, it is sometimes to attempt to make things better as he sees it. I select my "battles" as there are so many. So go in peace and I hope you take my comments with the sincerity in which they are presented.

RURP has spoken.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

catbirdseat said:

The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

The average man learns from his own mistakes.

The fool never learns.

sure... but I still think you gain wisdome... it is not given

This is true. However, what CAN be given are the opportunities to try, fail, succeed, and gain experience. This is how one gains wisdom. If you aren't given these opportunities to experience the good and bad in life, wisdom will be hard to gain. Too many kids today are being sheltered from gaining these experiences, and thus, the opportunities for gaining wisdom are lost.