• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   12/08/21

Thanks for visiting Cascadeclimbers.com.   Yep, we are still going!    Just put a new coat of paint on the site. Still the same old community of climbers, skiers, and people who love to get outdoors. Hope you had a great 2021, and wish you the best for 2022 and beyond.  Thanks again for stopping by.
Sign in to follow this  
bedellympian

question Hardshell bib pants

Posted (edited)

I recently ordered hardshell bib pants from Mountain Equipment because they were on sale in my size and said "alpine climbing fit". When they arrived they fit great BUT they are SO baggy around the ankles like a ski pant. This seems ridiculous for a "climbing" fit and even with G2 boots on they seem like they are at least two inches too wide and just snag on crampons. Anybody have any ideas for how to either fix this, jerry rig it, or what to look for to actually get a a climbing fit?

Edited by bedellympian

Could hem the bottom of the leg in a bit on and existing seam and seal the new seam with seam grip and or tenacious tape.

I'm a big fan of high waters in general, esp. if I'm wearing a gaiter. No point in excess fabric overlap. In your situation you could have them hemmed and have a channel sewn in for a replaceable circumferential bungee. Another option would be to leave them the way they are and put a grommet or sewn loop on either side of each leg to allow you to attach replaceable bungee cord to go under the sole, in essence to turn the longer pant legs into a built in gaiter. There are pros/cons to either approach.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:36 AM, bedellympian said:

Anybody have any ideas for how to....fix this

image.png.ed1f6ed65e3cff21f694e2adefacbcbf.png

:pagetop:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks @JasonG for that snarky but useful response. I thought about gaiters too. Given that I would be wearing something like a modern double boot with built in gaiters I feel like this is an annoying solution.

I think hemming/re-seaming like @kmfoerster suggested is the only option besides returning them and buying something that fits better.

Mostly I'm just annoyed that they were listed for alpine climbing but are just baggy ski pants. 

Edited by bedellympian

I have used a voile ski strip around the ankles for purposes like this.  It isn't the most stylish but it does the job.

4 hours ago, bedellympian said:

I thought about gaiters too

Oh, I know. But that dad joke was just too good to pass up!

1 hour ago, JasonG said:

Oh, I know. But that dad joke was just too good to pass up!

As a father, I salute your commitment to the cause!