• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Ted Glick

Geezer on Rainier in 2021

Looking for over-50 climber(s) to partner with for Rainier this coming season. I (59 yo male) can't be the old guy on a team of 30-somethings, so I'm looking for partner(s) who are closer to my age for better compatibility.

Thanks!

Theo

• Like 2

I'm over 50 and still enjoy climbing.  I have been waiting for 4 years to do Liberty Ridge with IMG but every year it gets cancelled.  I've done various routes on Rainier and Baker etc...

Shoot me an email/message if you would like.  I'm on the waitlist for Fuhrer Finger (Love this climb with a detour up the Wilson Headwall) in June.  My son and I are planning a Kautz carryover in July so I'm up for something.

Who knows????

Cheers

James LeBouef

• Like 2

Hello.  I could consider a climb.  Not sure on timeline this year, but should figure it out soon.  Have been up Rainier 3 times, and slept on the summit crater twice.  Still dream of spending 2 nights up top, and exploring the ice caves and each prominence on the day between.  If not his year, maybe next.  Was 49 when summited Rainer the first time 50 the second, so am in the over 50 crowd for sure!

Allan

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, schroden said:

Hello.  I could consider a climb.  Not sure on timeline this year, but should figure it out soon.  Have been up Rainier 3 times, and slept on the summit crater twice.  Still dream of spending 2 nights up top, and exploring the ice caves and each prominence on the day between.  If not his year, maybe next.  Was 49 when summited Rainer the first time 50 the second, so am in the over 50 crowd for sure!

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the note, I sure appreciate it. I've never been on Rainier, but I've been dreaming about it for the past 10 years or so... I'm talking to a group who plan to climb in June, but give me a shout if you make plans for the DC or similarly 'easy' route, and maybe we should talk.

Ted

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 4:55 AM, countrywi said:

I'm over 50 and still enjoy climbing.  I have been waiting for 4 years to do Liberty Ridge with IMG but every year it gets cancelled.  I've done various routes on Rainier and Baker etc...

Shoot me an email/message if you would like.  I'm on the waitlist for Fuhrer Finger (Love this climb with a detour up the Wilson Headwall) in June.  My son and I are planning a Kautz carryover in July so I'm up for something.

Who knows????

Cheers

James LeBouef

Thanks James; I think I DM'ed you instead of replying, sorry about that. Plz let me know if you didn't get the message.

Ted

• Like 1

this is beginning to look like a promising thread.  we got a handful of seventyish antique hardcores in the Wenatchee-Leavenworth area who are always lookin' for fresh meat. we move a little slower each year, but still get on the "interesting" routes -- just take longer.   should we establish a "geezers'" thread?

-Haireball

• Like 2

Ted I got your DM.   Thanks for the reply.  If my June climb is a no go I would be up for anything.  I've been up the DC many times but I just love climbing and don't care about the route  as long as there is good company.  Like I said I know my son and I are shooting for a mid July climb but I will be free for whatever around that.  Lets see what shakes out in the next week.  I am very flexible with my scheduling etc.....

James

• Like 1

I love this thread!  GET R DONE!   

• Like 2

Hey.  Good to hear there are “middle aged” climbers out there!  My Seattle plans are set, and airline tickets purchased.  Should be available August 9-13, but depends on routes and conditions, of course!  Would be interested in most anything ‘reasonable’.  Haven’t been up Baker or Olympus yet, and would certainly like more time on Rainier.  Would even entertain short climbs, just to get outside!  I know August can have issues with route deterioration, but my first summit of Rainier was in August, and it was still climbable.  Post here if anything develops, or can PM me as well.  

• Like 1

Great thread! I'm a geezer (51) looking to finish a three decade old goal of summiting the 9000'+ peaks of WA. Down to 5: Stuart, Bonanza, Jack, Logan and Buckner. Just ticked NE Buttress of Goode last year. Also looking to keep it "reasonable". Climbing/skiing Shuksan via Sulphide this week so hit me up here or maybe we'll meet up out on the rock! Thanks!!

Hi Ted,

Have you found someone to go up Rainier with you?  Contact me to discuss: dave@chapmanmortgages.com; 206-755-1697

Dave

Hi there,

I'm kind of in your ball park.  I'm 75 but a fairly strong climber.  Just went up Muir a few days ago.  I've been to the top of Rainier at 65 and then once up Schurman route to 13,800 ft.

Call me to discuss 206-755-1697

An Old geezers group would be good.

HI Theo,

I just responded to your post.  I have been up Muir route probably 30 times; up to the Flats a handful of times; up the DC a few times.  I have never turned back due to exhaustion, etc.  Been to the top 10 years ago and up Schurman route almost to the top but turned back due to a white out.  Bottom line:  I'd like to climb up to Muir one day; then go to the flats early on next day and then head up the DC early evening when it is not pitch dark and then traverse up to the top the rest of the way.  The shelters are not open now so would need a tent and rope, etc.  I have had crevesse rescue training but not an expert on this.  I'm familar with the mountain.  Ideally, need a team of 3 or 4 to go all the way.  My experience is once you get past the DC, then it's alot of traversing, etc. to the top. If you are interested, you can reach me at:  206-755-1697; dave@chapmanmortgages.com               

Lets touch base tomorrow sometime.  I see a bunch of responses; dave@chapmanmortgages.com; 206-755-1697

Hi All,

Lots of good traffic on this thread, thank you all... I kind of thought it was already too late in the season for this year, and I've had a lot of personal difficulties in the past few months, so I don't know if anything is feasible for me right now. But I'm certainly still interested in, I dunno, whatever...  Rainier is certainly still on my bucket list. I'm interested in like-minded people around my age (59) who are interested in the most simple, straightforward trip. Nothing fancy as I think even the easiest route will be enough of a challenge. 

I think for "geezers", it's useful to take a bit more time on the approach and in high camp to conserve energy and acclimate for summit day.

On the Emmons, spend the first night at Glacier Basin (and maybe think about Camp Curtis, although that's pretty close to Schurman). For the DC, camp one night on the snowfield around 8500, and then high camp at the Flats the next night (or two).

Those are good suggestions; I just need someone to go with; ideally a week from now. Dave 206-755-1697; dave@chapmanmortgages.com

My son and I just returned back to Wisconsin from climbing the Coleman Deming Route to the Summit on Mt Baker.  Very icy higher up but absolutely incredible.  I also climbed the Kautz to the summit about three weeks ago.  It too was in great condition.  

I'm all done going out to the PNW for now but I will still follow the forum.  Have to see what comes about for next year.  

There are no other alpine climbers here in Wisconsin besides my son and I (55y/o) so that is a significant downside.  

Good luck and be safe out there!

James LeBouef