avalanche books

glen

Hey all, I'm in the process of trying to learn (or learn how much I don't know) more about avalanche assessment. I've found that the intro books like "Staying alive in avalanche terrain" don't delve too deeply when it really comes down to understanding the 'why' in more than a phenomenlogical way. Any recommendations from the avi-savvy folks out there on more advanced books for the interested reader? I'm specifically looking for a good discussion of snow metamorphism and sets of case studies.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Avalanche Handbook is excellent. It's written like a geology text, full of all the groundbreaking reasearch data.

Also, Bruce Tremper's new book is also quite good (I can't remember the title)

But I don't have either so you can't borrow them. cantfocus.gif

also Avalanche Safety for Skiers and Climbers, Tony Daffern, Rocky Mountain Books (rmbooks.com)

and Avalanche Handook is by McClung and Schaerer, pub. by the Mtneers.

Now trivia time: What FA did McClung make in the Cascades and when?

Also, Bruce Tremper's new book is also quite good (I can't remember the title)

Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain , the book Glen specifically said he doesn't like. I'm learning snow safety this winter, and I think it's an excellent read...but I am a backcountry newbie, so what do I know? tongue.gif

The Avalanche Handbook (mcclung) is good stuff. The Ed Lachapelle Snow book may/may not be useful - his glacier book is awesome.

To better understand Snow try to get a copy of "The Snow Handbook" a massive (776pgs!) book on all the properties of the wonderful white stuff. It's out of print though, and textbook pricey.

most of the recent North American research gets

published in Journal of Glaciology. Bruce Jamieson

in particular has a recreational focus. Other good

names to look for are David McClung, Jurg Schweizer,

Bruno Salm, Sam Coldbeck.

I recently found what must have been the first major

english-language synopsis of european avalanche research

put out by CRREL in the mid-'60s (author is Malcolm Mellor).

Really cool! But more geeky science than anyone needs

to know to go skiing.

The title is the "The Handbook of Snow: Principles, Processes, Management and Use". And, no Abebooks does not list it. It is available from the amazon.com affiliate program for the bargain basement price of $95.00 - unless you want the $492.00 version.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/0080253741/all/ref=dp_bb_a/103-7058691-8208616

Tremper's book is quite good. I own it an recommend it as an introductory avi book. It does exactly what it is intended to. But, because it is an intro book, it doesn't delve too deeply because it would be too much too soon.

It sounds like a lot of the stuff I was looking for is in academic texts or journals. Off to the library...

Books are good, but the best thing you could do is to take a class. Those who provide the most comprehensive classes are listed on the American Mountain Guides Association website or AMGA.com.

I read a lot about avalanches and played with beacons on my own, but taking a class and having someone who is an expert talk about it showed me just how little I'd learned from the books.

Jason

Now trivia time: What FA did McClung make in the Cascades and when?

haha, he was my prof last term, nice guy but also a weirdo, terrible teacher, we talked about climbing a few times but never mentioned any FA's what was it?

"peruvian headwall" finish to Price glacier on Shuksan, up the snow flutings on the left.

Classes are great yes - but classes are short. Classes are also much more expensive than a library visit, which is free.

If your going to take a class, I'd look for a ski area avalanche professional course (depending how many you've taken already over an AMGA course - they generally have more experience.

I have taken a course. It was great and well worth the money. I just have some areas that I want more info on. It goes without saying that being around experts is a much better way to learn than figuring out on your own from books. I think I'll have to wait until next season to take a more advanced course (ahhh, if only money and extra time grew on trees).

The course I took was Gary Brill's avi I course (3 classes plus a field day). It was good and certainly had a lot of sweet shots of b/c freshiez! fruit.gif

If your going to take a class, I'd look for a ski area avalanche professional course (depending how many you've taken already over an AMGA course - they generally have more experience.

The courses offered on the AMGA website are professional acreditied avalanche providers. They are oriented toward guides who are ski guides and take people into the backcountry either in helicopters or on backcountry skis. The lower level courses, Levels I and II tend to be a little more mixed company in that there are lots of normal everyday back country skiers. Level III is oriented toward guides and ski patrol.

I took my course from Freddy Grossniklaus who has been a backcountry ski guide for thirty years. He has seen literally thousands of avalanches.

There is currenlty a movement among avalanche providers to standardize the training across North America. The American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) is slowly becoming the standard. The reason I pointed to the list posted on the AMGA website is because that list points you toward these guys (the AIARE guys) who are considered the best in the business.

Jason