[TR] Forbidden Peak - North Ridge 9/5/2008

JoshK

Trip: Forbidden Peak - North Ridge

Date: 9/5/2008

Trip Report:

Late last week Dave K and I climbed the full North Ridge of Forbidden Peak. This is not the NW face of N ridge variation described in Jim's book, but rather the entire ridge route. I highly recommend the pure ridge as it features roughly 3x the climbing on the ridge proper. I had wanted to climb this route for years and it suited or goals of something fun and alpine but without a pickets-like approach, which I wasn't in the mood for.

The route itself was great fun. Getting to it was a different story. We took a small notch just east of Sharkfin Col, which is one of the most god awful gullies I have ever climbed. We had new snow from the prior storm, so it was a mud/snow thrutch up. However, the 5.7 moves to get up to sharkfin would have been worse as running water was streaming down pretty much everything. One 30m rap got us down to the Boston Glacier, where a relatively short glacier slog got us to the beginning of our route.

We stuck to the ridge proper, where it is mostly 4th and 5th class, with the hardest moves being maybe 5.6 tops. While the climbing is not hard, the narrow ridge has incredible views which made it a lot of fun. The wide open views towards Buckner, the entire Boston glacier, Moraine Lake, Eldorado, and the rest of the ridge itself are some of the best i have experienced.

The weather threatened the entire day and we summited in thick clouds, but thankfully no rain fell. We went to bed under clear skies Thursday and unfortunately woke up to a total fog-out and rain. A few hours of skittering down slick slabs and then a wet brush-fuck out the Boston Basin trail brought us back to the car looking like we had fallen in a swimming pool. Thankfully crappy Mexican beer (seems redundent, huh) was waiting for us.

All and all, I really enjoyed this climb. While not technically challenging, it makes for a great all-around alpine mountaineering trip.

Included below are some photos.

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_014.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_015.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_016.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_020.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_025.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_031.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_041.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_044.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_046.jpg

Forbidden_Peak_North_Ridge_047.jpg

Gear Notes:

Ice axe, crampons, small alpine rack, one 60m rope.

Approach Notes:

Standard Boston Basin trail is very fast and short for a NCNP approach. we used a small notch east of Sharkfin Col, which I highly recommend despite how crappy that gully is.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I was up there (a couple of years ago) the forest service had said they weren't going to maintain the trail because it was wilderness, or some such. But, they STILL required a Forest Pass, to help pay for all the maintenance they weren't going to do.

Is there still a forest pass sign at the BB trailhead?

The park service's stance on this trail is absolutely ridiculous. This isn't a climber's path, it's a full fledged trail that is as well established as most any decent trail. The upper part is damn near perfect, but unfortunately the brush down low is persistent. Their refusal to move obstacles and such has led to several spots where the trail simply winds around and causes further erosion. There is no reason why a subalpine trail in a previously logged (and mined) area should not be maintained by either park crews or willing volunteers. Not to mention the fact that it has an "official" parking area and a trailhead sign.

Boston Basin is a great area worth preserving, but for them to argue that the brushy lower section is "wilderness" and shouldn't be touched is silly. Of course, this is my 2 cents...

Would a petition to the park have even a slim chance of changing this, or would it be a lost cause?