Knee pain on descent

mzvarner

I have had a long history of knee pain on descents. Specifically it is the medial aspect of my right patella. I have also had a long standing history of tight IT band issues with this leg that arises w/ running.

I am sure I have some muscles that are weak and need some training. Wondering which ones specifically. I am going to be starting a weight training regiment with a focus on HITT training for climbing. With that in mind is there any hints, tips, exercises, or circuits you have found beneficial? I also do yoga a few times a week, among other activities.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knee pain on descent....

That's akin to complaining about head pain on hangover.

That's a good point... But I would expect it to be bilateral. It's always the medial r knee which makes me question it. And it's sharp in nature and not an ache.

But I get it. Pain comes with the territory.

i occasionally have knee pain, comes and goes in a knee, or both, i don't give it much attention, but can usually be attributed to weak/strong leg, that's why it isn't bilateral..it might be in your dominate leg because that one is overcompensating for a weak one. Or in the weak one cause it's weak?

for instance, my achilles has been tighter in my right, non-dominate leg for years now, no matter how much stretching. Even after foot surgery on the left foot and having non-weight bearing on the leg for ~2 months the achilles on that side still has more stretch/doesn't feel tight like the right.

throwing one thing out there.. maybe Layton can throw you some good exercise/stretch ideas.. i am not good help for your knee pain there.. :/

I've always had copious amounts of knee pain on descent. I only weigh 157 lbs and I am 6'3", even with a high protein diet and working out regularly.

What helps me is doing slow walking lunges with dumbbells in my hands, focusing on the downward part. This works a lot of the muscles associated with downhill walking. I also mix this with leg extensions afterword.

I'm no physical therapist, but my knee pain completely goes away on shorter descents (4 mile hikes) and is manageable on longer routes (Middle Sister, OR descent + 7 mile hike out) when I keep up on my routine.

You're probably already using a styrofoam roller for the ITB issues. If not, get one. And the yoga is great. I wonder though if you've considered seeing a chiropractor for possible alignment issues as a possible contributing factor of your current knee issues...

I know a good guy in the Valley I trust if you need a referral.

d

Don't know your history. asking for medical advice on the web, you get what you pay for. ymmv. etc etc.

some things you want to learn about knee pain:

1) often, knee pain comes from pelvis misalignment. I've been told that IT band issues can also arise as a result of pelvis misalgnment (I don't have IT band problems so can't comment on the veracity of that)

2) there is a proper knee alignment that lots of people don't use, and if you're lifting weights you'll screw your knee up really quickly if you're not doing it correctly.

1) + 2) means that posture and alignment are everything!

3) there are some stabilizer muscles that keep your knee in alignment.

I highly suggest you see someone professional (or multiple professionals) about your pain, and to discuss your posture and positioning. they might be able to point you at some exercises to keep you aligned so you don't injure yourself more.

M

• 2 weeks later...

3 likely possibilities: patellofemoral syndrome, torn meniscus, or arthritis. (Medial pain doesn't fit with IT band ). Quad strengthening can help with patellifemoral- which is probably most likely. Need to be careful with the exercises though because some can make it worse. Generally quad exercises that don't stress the knee are best. You need a PT. it will get better. Cheers!