Grivel X Monster?

Coldfinger

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Owned these for about two days but got a chance to climb some WI3/4 and easy mixed on them.

The most interesting thing was the side-to-side flex, which was worrying to say the least. They're designed to do so, but man did it ever feel sketchy.

Swing was ok, although pick penetration was marginal and required quite a bit of force to sink it in (non-modified pick). As they're all single-thickness steel, the balance is somewhat middle-to-upper end of the shaft (due to the pick being quite heavy).

Another thing I noticed was their shortness compared to other tools.

All in all, even for the price, not worth it imo.

I've had a set for a few years. I think they are an excellent tool for all-around moderate alpine terrain, but suffer a bit on cold pure ice. The pick is very thick. I added a small tooth near the front, which helped with stability in shallow placements, but it still isnt as good as my quarks.

Benefits of x-monster:

price

weight

hammer and spike

umbilical clip-in

plunge head first

good on soft ice and hooking ice

good on easy to moderate mixed

drawbacks:

fat pick is not very delicate

I dont like the flexi shaft on steep sport-mixed

Coupled with my quarks, they make a nice second set of tools, and I use them more often than quarks in the mountains. That being said, I think I'll get some new Nomics this season.

Don't buy the stupid monster x. It personifies everything bad about climbing IMO- flashy, stupid, shallow.

Get some tools you can take into the alpine and beat the s*** out of. Don't go for some showy monstrosity. Just my opinion of course.

Then again, for someone just getting into ice they might be good. All depends on your priorities. Nothing against Grivel either- I freakin love their crampons and other gear.

Edited by summitchaserCJB

I'm glad you quit your job, damn, it seems to have given you a bad rash!

Anywho, hope we aren't getting too far off track, did like the pics tho.

Just mulling my options for going leashless without spending all the money I'm going to need to get to places like Cody or even Colorado. Love the Monster pick, NOT buying either the Quantum Tech or Matrix Tech after watching the yellow pommel bust on a partner doin' it alpine style. Not buying a set of Quarks due to $$ (I'd want an adze but no way I'm paying $45!).

Seemed like it might be more of a hooking tool on ice (like those old elephant picks on the Lowe tools) and an absolute beast for mixed.

X monster isn't a bad mixed tool and some actually like the flex shaft on hard mixed. Not a great water ice tool. But it is not suppose to be.

Would I buy a pair? No. But have friends that own and use them. They were designed to be a tool for climbing hard mixed, hence the thick pick. I find them too specialized for my own use and the head attachment problematic.

How good are they?

Good enough to get up the C/M which is like 100x longer than the N face of Chair and just a tiny bit harder ;)

http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=117&video_id=1718

coldfinger, I think the x-monster, or any tool using the x-monster pick will be a fine tool to get things started (if you are just getting started). it will just take a few extra swings to get a good solid stick in cold ice. I would strongly recommend putting another tooth near the end of the pick. i think it makes a big difference in their climbability.

Thanks! Just figured I might get two sets of tools instead of trying to make one do everything like I've always done. Picked up the original Monster and couldn't even figure out how to swing it. How big is the grip?

That one pic did look like moguls to me but I didn't see a lift, lotsa folks in another pic, maybe it was a Mounties trip?