The Big Difference

allthumbs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much of a whallop is the 45 going to pack when it runs out of the range most 9mm are capable of? cantfocus.gif

Good point, Ray. I would counter that with the point that pistols are for close-quarters. Right? I'm looking at maximum effectiveness in the first 30', which a .45 ACP bullet travelling at approx. 850-fps can cover in .0353-seconds without losing too much energy. I can look up some ballistics if you want.

Dont waste your time. I'm just fuckin around. wink.gif

Too late, dammit. These are all from Federal's website.

A 230-gr .45 Auto bullet at 25-yds will carry 350-ft-lbs of energy at 830-fps.

A 124-gr 9mm Parabellum bullet at 25-yds will carry 315-ft-lbs of energy at 1070-fps.

These are typical loads for self-defense that you can buy off the shelf. That .45 looks pretty good.

Colt 1911 max eff range is 25 meters

Berretta mil pistol 9mm is 50 meters

Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

That point is moot. What kind of accuracy are you going to get at 50-m? Non-military trained joe-six pack. If the perp is at 50-m he is probably running away and the gun has served it's purpose without firing a shot. Good guys win.

Colt 1911 max eff range is 25 meters

Berretta mil pistol 9mm is 50 meters

Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

That point is moot. What kind of accuracy are you going to get at 50-m? Non-military trained joe-six pack. If the perp is at 50-m he is probably running away and the gun has served it's purpose without firing a shot. Good guys win.

What kind of accuracy is a 45 gonna get at 30 meters shocked.gif None! But a 9mm will. cantfocus.gif

You haven't done enough stereotyping of Liberals.

What liberal would be an expert shot? Further, what liberal would own a gun?

I'm pretty liberal. I shot expert marksman with both the M16 and the M9 (that's a beretta 9mm pistol). I've made 200+ yard kill shots on deer in heavy timber. I own a Ruger 1022 .22lr, Remington Mod 700 .243, Beretta .20 gauge semi-auto shotgun, and Smith and Wesson bolt-action (yeah they made rifles for a time) 7mm mag.

Why the sterotyping? You must be a punch of pansy-assed, lycra wearing, beta spewing, bolt clipping, conservatives.

It's a vast right wing sporto conspiracy I tell ya.

Careful, there are laws about barrel length in some states for shotguns.

The problem is in defining a shotgun. Smooth bore isn't an accurate description anymore. Anyway, you can own a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18" if you've got special ATF permission. I think it takes a hefty donation to your favorite Senator to get it.

You haven't done enough stereotyping of Liberals.

What liberal would be an expert shot? Further, what liberal would own a gun?

I carry a gun and am an expert shot.

If believing in freedom and a womens right to chose, organized Labor,Human rights and paying my fair share of taxes makes me a liberal than so be it .

Look where a few years of right wing politics have gotten us.

GregW and Caveman, why not a .357 or .44 magnum? With a heavy bullet they can kill a grizzly, moose, etc, if I remember correctly. Sure, the recoil might be a deterrent, but as long as you're talking about max power and range.....

Most wheel guns (revolvers) are rather large and don't carry well. They are kind of wide and the hammer catches on clothing. Plus you only have 6 shots.

.357 and .44 are for the bedside table. evils3d.gif

Humm... When I first read this I thought it particularly applicable to the current global situation. In which case I thought the current conservative answer to be something like:

"See a guy you know across the street reading a newspaper (you've seen him before and he's a bad ass, beats his wife and kids and you've kicked his ass before). You think this guy talked to the guy coming at you with the gun... maybe. More to the point he's a sitting target so you're certain to hit him and you know where he lives so if you don't get him the first time... Kill that guy instead. Don't talk about the guy with the gun and he'll just go away."

Anyway...

There was an article in SOF magazine ages ago written by a lawyer who defended people in self-defense shooting cases (No, I don't subscribe). It was very interesting. A couple of the things I picked up from it. Buying a large caliber gun is OK provided its not called "the Manstopper .45" as the prosecutor will have a field day making you (an SOF reader) out to be a total nut. If you can shoot then you're much more likely to stop your assailant with a single round which is much easier to explain that a corpse riddled with shells, which again makes you look like a nut.

If you want it for self defense, and are not going to carry, isn't a shotgun a pretty good choice?