scenic winter outing w/ little avy danger

JoshK

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends really on what skill level your girlfriend (and you) have. This Saturday a few of us will be hopefully heading up the NW Ridge of Lewis Peak (north of Del Campo Peak). This should be straight forward with little problems. If all goes well, I can see that ridge becoming a standard suggestion by me to others as a low avy danger winter climb. I'll let you know after Saturday. Ah, I love exploratory climbing.

Another, short fun (maybe 5 miles rountrip?) snowshoe is into Commomwealth Basin (from Alpental Road). If you stick to the left side of the basin, you can go a couple of miles into the basin before getting into avalanche terrain on Red Mountain or from Lundin. The right side of the basin is somewhat threatened by open slopes on Kendall peak.

You do have to park at "Summit West", however, as the parking Nazis will tow your car if you park along Alpental Road. madgo_ron.gif

Liberty Ridge

LOL...I'll propose this to her and see what she thinks! bigdrink.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions. Mazama ridge is a nice one. Klenke, I'm interested in your lewis peak suggestion. I love the monte cristo area but I haven't climed lewis peak specifically. do you have any more details? I'm assuming you'd park at barlow pass, which you can probably drive all the way to in this shitty snow year. What does the climb look like after that? I assume it's almost all forested and along the ridge, and thus that is why you think it's pretty avy safe?

thanks!

You didn't ask me, but I'll point out that Lewis Peak involves a 3300 foot elevation gain. I would not take a girlfriend there if she was not fairly hardcore or if I was hoping for a low-stress day in the splendor's of nature.

c'mon matt, you know unsolicited replys are the norm around here. wink.gif Good point, I should have clarified, but I'm more interesed in lewis peak in general, not for taking her up it. As I'm sure you know, the monte cristo peaks are mighty pretty...t'would be a mighty nice view to look upon them from up high and up close in the winter. It sounds like a good candidate to take one of my non-technical but physically fit friends on.

You didn't ask me, but I'll point out that Lewis Peak involves a 3300 foot elevation gain. I would not take a girlfriend there if she was not fairly hardcore or if I was hoping for a low-stress day in the splendor's of nature.

No, it is definitely not a walk in the park. It is also known to be quite brushy. I would be concerned whether the sparse snows of this year have covered all the devils club and slide alder. It sucks to punch through with snowshoes and get stuck in branches.

"No, it is definitely not a walk in the park. It is also known to be quite brushy. I would be concerned whether the sparse snows of this year have covered all the devils club and slide alder. It sucks to punch through with snowshoes and get stuck in branches. "

Come on, where's your sense of adventure. A little devil's club tickling the sphincter doesn't hurt that long. Besides, I'm perpetually ensnared in a boscage of devil's club anyway. It'll be like a walk to my kitchen for me.

Attached to this post (see top) is the cropped topo of the climb of Lewis Peak. I expect there may be a 1/4 mile of bushwhacking near the trailhead, but eventually we should be getting into snow. Mattp, your 3,300 elevation point is well taken, but since this is a relatively straight forward emprise (thus mitigating route finding issues), I don't expect the elevation gain will be a problem.

128991-Lewis-MSP_cropped.jpg.9f2ddd9f08f784692ac37e6bc4e55a44.jpg

Don't know if the climb is a go yet. I need to call my buddy Jim tonight since he and I are the main two to be in on this climb idea. Send me a PM with contact phone number and residence location. Others are interested in going too, so it seems this climb is generating more interest than I had anticipated. Logistics will be worked out probably around 7:00PM tonight.

Looks like NOAA is predicting a nice weather window:

> SATURDAY...CLOUDY WITH A RAIN AND SNOW TAPERING OFF IN THE MORNING AN

> INCREASING CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW AGAIN LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW LEVEL

> RISING TO 6000 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES 35 TO 40. WIND IN THE

> PASSES EAST 5 TO 15 MPH.

This may be laughable. We'll see. If so, who cares? 'Tis always fun to plow around in the snow.

Klenke-

I suspect that for the hardman who has devil's club in their kitchen, the elevation gain will not be a problem. But this thread started out asking about what I presumed was to be an easy destination for a hike with a partner I presumed not to be a hardwoman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most girlfriends do not want to crawl through the jungle to make 3,000' of elevation gain in soggy snow.

Klenke-

...But this thread started out asking about what I presumed was to be an easy destination for a hike with a partner I presumed not to be a hardwoman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most girlfriends do not want to crawl through the jungle to make 3,000' of elevation gain in soggy snow.

laugh.gif LOL Don't forget that some chicks think it would be a dream date... rockband.gif

"Don't forget that some chicks think it would be a dream date..."

I'd like to add that to find or have a girlfriend that would willingly engage in such laborious and possibly painful exercise would be a dream girlfriend for many of us wannabe hardcore male (or female if that's your persuasion) climbers.