BD Neutrino and DMM wiregate failure test

Pencil_Pusher

A friend took my two biners mentioned above (the DMM biner I can't remember the name to, but it's the wiregate that is shaped kinda funny) to the REI gear test lab last night. The Neutrino is rated to 8kn open while the DMM is 10kn open. I could only afford to be stupid with two biners so I figured it best to opt for worst case scenario. I wasn't there due to school, but my friend just e-mailed and said the Neutrino failed at 8.4kn and the DMM at 10.4kn. Both were slightly used... closer to new. A 9/16" sling and 5mm cord were to be tested as well, but I don't know their stats yet.

If anyone else was there last night, perhaps they could share with the outcomes of some of the equipment?

I have no clue as to the engineer questions anyone asks as to the test procedures. To me though, hearing them both break above their ratings was confidence inspiring.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DMM's are very cool with that keylock system on a wiregate, nothing to catch on. Too expensive for me though. Stupid brits! hahaha.gif

I was refering to the "Prowire" not the newer "Wirelock" ..... Wirelock are IMO VERY expensive ... around $10.50 MRSP ... Prowire retail for around $8.00 ... about $0.50 more than Neutrinos

DMM's are very cool with that keylock system on a wiregate, nothing to catch on. Too expensive for me though. Stupid brits! hahaha.gif

Actually they are dumb. Sorry to rain on your parade, but they have manged to take a good idea (wiregate) and wreck all the good stuff about it.

Take one of the DMMs and slap it against your hand, the gate opens coz of the extra weight at the end. Also the funky twist makes it hard to clip... at least compared to a real wiregate.

• 2 weeks later...
Good point. I agree. They suck. Use BD wiregates. Rack your nuts oops, stoppers, on BD whatchamacallits, the keylock thingies. They come in different colors, so you can color-code your stoppers. Use lightweight real wiregates for everything else.

If you are talking about bd neutrinos check out the dmm pro wires. bigdrink.gif

The DMM prowires are the ones with the ball thing at the end of the gate? I'm happy with BD, so I don't really have any reasons to switch.

Nope. They are the ones that have more gate clearance than the neutrino and weigh the same as well as just being the similar strength.

Prowire 24 kN 8 kN 8 kN 36 24 mm A208

PROKLIPA.gif