Conditions in Colorado

daler

For all those who may be travelling to CO. The conditions are good. Vail is thick except for spiral staircase. ouray is fat with most of the climbs outside of the park in.

The photos are of The fang. We climbed it yesterday and its probably at solid grade 6, but very solid and well attached.

223the_fang_from_behind-thumb.jpg

223the_fang-thumb.jpg

hope to see all you northwesters out here!!

Dale

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo cavey,

I'm sure you already checked it out online, but just in case there are 3 lines out the roof. Octupussy of course, and then Reptile M10 or so that traverses from octupussy to the fang and then Lucky M12 that goes straight out the horizontal roof to the fang. hopfully I'll get repile this year but I'll probably never have the abs for Lucky.

FYI- for all those who wonder how good short screws are! I saw a guy take a 20 footer on a stubbie in iffy ice and it held. He was on the 7th tenacle behind the fang.

cheers,

Dale

Matt,

the srew did have a screamer on it, but it did not even start to pull the stiching out. I think he was saved because his belayer gave him a great dynamic belay. He didn't let rope slide through his device but he did jump into the fall. this actually let him fall very far but i think allowed for the srew to hold.

You should come out and climb. Kristie and I have a spare bed and bathroom just for travelling climbers.

And yes, the pictures are of the day I led it. great climbing but not much in the way of gear. did not get reasonable gear until the where the rock starts. And yes I was scared!!! I have to admitt I put the leashes on for this one.

take care,

dale

Edited by daler

Hey I don't blame ya! Nice lead. Thanks for the invite, Chrysten and I would love to come visit Boulder sometime!

There is a pillar in Cooke City Wyoming that is very similar to the Fang, looks almost identical actually, but has never recieved any press. Anyone going to Bozeman should check it out!

never recieved any press

there's always been a connection to what's most often published in magazines, and what's close to the editor's office. For the climbs above Vail, it also helps that they're visible from the freeway, and have a short approach. Of course, the local ethos is a big factor too. It seems that in many western locales, climbers are pretty quiet about what they do.

The Pillar in Cooke City (it has several different names depending on who you ask) is 1/4 up from the main highway, visible from the road, and has a relatively short approach. Although it is threatend by serious avy danger on Barronette Mt.

However, you are right, Cooke City isn't the most accesible place, and the locals like it that way. It really is a special place to climb ice, and I'd highly recomend it. If it had better rock it would rival the mixed climbing in vail, as Barronette as many little steep caves with gnarly pillars and such. My friend Pete tried to put a sick line up, but by the time he had drilled all the bolts through the roof, all the holds had broken off and crumbled.

Anyway, sorry to change the subject from Colorado, i'd like to climb there sometime!

The Designator is in fat shape. Depending on the line you take it is grade 4+ or 5- with the big artichokes at the bottom.

Keep in mind that the vail area can be climbed out in a few days so plan your trip knowing that. The fang is very wet and should be getting fatter quickly. The overnight temps usualy go to the single digits and then its in the 20's during the day. Also try and plan to be there on week days.

Are any of you folks going to be at the ouray ice fest this weekend?

cheers bigdrink.gif

dale

I'll be out there this long weeknd but won't be going to Ouray. I've heard Rifle is in really well and that Smear of Fear is fat (at least relatively speaking). Can you confirm that?

I'm also sort of curious how fat the ice on Secret Probation is . . . Tr'd it last year and thought it would be fun lean with a little more ice . . .

Thanks

Jon Fisher

Jon,

The smear was fat(relative to most years) but has subliminated away at the bottom. We climbed it in lat Oct. and had to do the m7 rock traverse in to get onto the ice. Also this time of year there is alot of snow at the base of the diamond. When I say it was fat. I had to climb 1 inch ice for 30 feet above and way to the right of a reasonble blade. I guess it only comes in about every 5 years or so. We got lucky.

I climbed secret probation it early November and it was a tad spicy then but should be fatter as Vail has lots of water flowing so the ice is good. I protected the little pillar with two stubbies equalized. Other stuff and Vail like the seventh tenacle and the little thang are in good shape as well.

cheers,

dale

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a couple pics from my visit to CO over MLK weekend in the Photo Gallery. It looks like the Fang fattened up some over the week after Dale's visit. Good views of Frigid Inseminator in the pics as well. That one is fun but the gear was a bit scary . . .

We also visited Rifle. Hardly anything was in. Stone Free was an itty bitty pillar with no ice on the finish. We did Soul on Ice which was thin but reasonable. Only other climbable ice was The Final Curtain.

The cragging in Boulder Canyon was good too!