Fire Lookouts?

ChrisT

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stayed at a fire watch tower in the Mt. Hood Wilderness a couple times, once to 3 days the other for 4. Awesome experiences both times.

rbw - was it flag point, 5 mile or clear lake? Those are the ones they talked about last night. Winter or summer?

Mac likes to tell a story about the days when he was running marathons. He had been working on the Three Fingers book and had done a lot of reseach on Harold Engles, but had never met the man. Mac was trying to run from Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass nonstop and he met two old guys on the trail. They asked him how far he'd come. By this time he was no longer running and was pretty tired. He answered 40 miles. One of the two me who looked to be about 80 years old said, "I've done a few 35 mile days when I was working for the Forest Service, but never 40". Mac instantly knew he must be talking to Harold Engels. It turned out he was. At age 80 he still could hike 15 miles in a day with a pack on.

b and i stayed at one of the original ranger cabins for OLY NP a few years back. I wanna say it was up the Dossewallips valley, but I can't really remember now. Anyhow, it was a nice little setup, fridge, appliances, but you had to bring your own water. Great wood stove, neat little cabin and very cheap.

Here is info on Threefingers from the Everett Branch website:

http://www.everettmountaineers.org/lotm/lotm_projects/lotm_projects_3F.html

For additional information on The Everett Mountaineers Lookout and Trail Maintenance program, send e-mail to lotm@everettmountaineers.org.

Forest Fire Lookout Restoration Volunteers Needed

The Lookout and Trail Maintenance Committee, well known throughout the Club and the Mt. Baker and Snoqualmie Ranger Districts as leaders in volunteer work, is always looking for volunteers to help out on fire lookouts maintained by the Everett Branch.

Step back in time and live the life of a fire lookout crew. These National Historic Buildings played an integral part in the history of the road and trail systems we have today. The passage of time and harsh environments plus the many visitors put much wear and tear on the Lookouts so there is always work to be done.

Work done on lookouts can be anything from carrying tools and materials up, to specialized construction. Most of the work though is scraping and painting involving many spectacular views. The work is very satisfying and much appreciated by visitors.

For information on participating in a 3 Fingers work party contact Louie Coglas at earthhumor@juno.com or 425-672-4521.

Chris, I didn't answer your question fully. No you don't have to be a member, but you'll probably have to fill out a liability waiver if you participate. There is no cost to volunteers.

One of the cool things about the project is you get to rope up and hang over a 2,000 ft cliff while you work, so they kind of rely on climbers to do the work. wink.gif