Sleeping pads?

Alpine_Tom

I don't think this has been covered on this forum yet. I've been using a Cascade Designs 3/4 length thermarest, and I'm happy with it. But I need to buy a new sleeping pad for my son, and am wondering what advice you might have. It has to be light, because he's young, but I want it to be reasonably comfortable.

And if there's something I should get for him so I can use it instead of mine, then what is it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a full length ThermaRest Lite (the thinner one) and it works well for me. The thin design is only a bit of a problem on winter outings (I have a small piece of foam pad to supplement when I need it), and I love the way it folds in half lengthwise before rolling up - ends up being a roll about 10 inches long by 5 inches diameter which fits well inside a pack.

Before DFA pretty much quit backpacking and got his Camprest LE (at least as comfortable as the bed at home!), he had good results with a 3/4-length standard Thermarest on a full-length Ridge Rest. Sort of a lot to carry, but the Ridge Rest isn't too heavy, and if you use one o' them ultra-light Thermarest jobbies, you'd be in good shape. Could even trim the RR down a bit if need be, at least some at the corners or around the feet. Not a bad combo, and if the Therma goes flat, you at least still have something to sleep on.

Otherwise, a Subaru is nice to sleep in, too. grin.gif

how big is your kid?

maybe get the lightest full length thermarest, and

fold it to half-length/double-thickness for him or

just use it normal style for yourself when he's not

along.

a small person might find the bulkiness of a foam pad

or ridgerest strapped on their pack just as awkward as

the extra few grams of a more compact t-rest.

I have 3/4 length and full length self-inflatables and closed foam mattresses. The shorter ones are the thinnest Thermarest and Ridgerest, the longer ones are a thin Karrimat that I use under the short Thermarest, and a regular Thermarest.

If I had to own only two I'd pick the Karrimat and the 3/4-length Thermarest.

BTW my short Thermarest is 5 years old and got two punctures in it last summer. I took it to Cascade Designs and they fixed it for free. I'm going to be using the short Ridgerest on most summer trips but it isn't as warm as the Thermarest.

My son is now five (as of today!) and is about 3'6" so he's not that big. Yet.

I guess the question is, why would I choose a Z-rest, or other closed-cell pad over a self-inflating Thermarast, besides a slight weight (and cost) savings? I guess there is the issue of puncture protection; on a multi-day backcountry trip, that could cast a pall over the whole trip. I don't know how likely that is to happen, tho. And the free repair thing is part of what sold me in the first place.

Foam pads are bulky, and depending on design, they can wear out a lot quicker. They are cheaper.

Inflatable pads are always more comfortable, except when they are flat, and then they are not comfortable at all. They are easily field-repairable, but you're either going to do field repair in the middle of the night when you discover the leak, or spend one night on a flat pad. Major drag, especially while on snow.

Having said this, I own a variety of both kinds of pads, and currently use a cut down Ridge Rest with a 3/4 light T-Rest inflatable for most circumstances where I have to carry the stuff.

I think it took me a couple of trips to realize that my thermarest had a puncture. I would inflate it and go to sleep and be kind of cold but try not to mind to bad, then I'd be in such a hurry in the morning that I didn't notice it was flat by then. There were two punctures but they were so small that it took quite awhile for the air to leak out.