Grivel Screws

Lambone

I had the chance to demo some Grivel 360 screws from Pro-Mountain Sports this past week.

It took me a bit to get a feel for the long handle, but otherwise I thought they worked great. Once started they go in smooth and fast, and you get lots of leverage with the longer handle.

Fortunately I did not have the opportunity to conduct the ultimate test! But when it comes to being pumped and getting a quick screw in, these get two thumbs up.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few grivels that I bought a couple of seasons ago. I love them for the same reasons that you mention. One more good point is that with the low profile head and freely swinging handle you can get it into - and out of - tight spots much easier than with a BD type screw. smile.gif

... but one annoying thing is that the handle sometimes gets hung up on other gear when they're racked. Maybe I just need to be more organized - or buy yet another kind of ice screw holder gizmo. blush.gif

It's also kinda freaky when they're screwed in to the ice how that handle just flops around and looks like it can catch a gate on a biner - never seen this happen, I'm not even sure if it's possible, but ... shocked.gif

These screws are great but if you... but it is nothing worse then being pumped out and trying to get the screw off your rack when you have shit tangled around the handle of the 360 been there done that. I don't know but they get tangled on the harnass very easy no matter how experanced you are. I am not willing to spend the time on a climb to find another racking method when the racking method I use now works great

Dave

I have BD Express screws and Grivel 360s, but would convert to all 360s if I could afford it. As things stand now its about a 50/50 split on my rack. I try to place the BD's from easy stances where I can hang out for a while without getting too pumped, and save the express screws for those situations when I need to sink a screw right away. The floating handle makes is possible to place the screw in corners and grooves without cleaning, I get more leverage with the floating handle (this was especially nice when the temps were in the single digits), and I can just generally crank the thing in more quickly than an Express scres. In my experience its also been easier to clean the ice cores on the 360s.