[TR] Sherman Peak - Squak Gl. 6/22/2013

JasonG

Trip: Sherman Peak - Squak Gl.

Date: 6/22/2013

Trip Report:

More of a conditions update than anything else for this mellow and mildly popular ski destination....

You still can't drive quite all the way to the TH, though quite close. With the Heliotrope TH out of commission, it is a zoo on this side of the mountain! Expect 100+ people on a weekend day. We started skinning a couple hundred feet above the cars, though pretty soon you will probably need to use the trail for this section. As you would expect, the Squak Gl is easily skinned this time of year. We brought glacier gear but never roped up and crossed few obvious bridges. Ski conditions were quite sticky with the new snow from the past week not yet corn. Low down (<6000') there was a short bit of fast corn, before the sun cups began to get annoying. We tried and failed to take the drainage all the way through the canyon and had to hike back up and boot down the rib we came up in the morning.

All in all it was a forgettable ski, but the views were anything but. Sherman has a fantastic view (Neither Gordo or I had been up it before), and a very cool summit ridge finish, making for a fun alpine outing. I will certainly return again to ski it with some better corn conditions. And, I will probably again have the summit to myself, which is always a welcome change on a busy Baker weekend.

Squak Gl. and Sherman Peak.

2013ShermanPkSki2972.jpg

2013ShermanPkSki2976.jpg

Lincoln and Colfax are constant companions on this tour. Gordo, just after the crater right turn.

2013ShermanPkSki2998.jpg

Gordo Glamour shot. Don't even try to resist!

2013ShermanPkSki3007.jpg

The summit! Airier than I was expecting.

2013ShermanPkSki3026.jpg

How many people do you count on the Easton and Squak? We counted 45+ (not all in this frame)

2013ShermanPkSki3036.jpg

2013ShermanPkSki3046.jpg

2013ShermanPkSki3072.jpg

2013ShermanPkSki3059.jpg

2013ShermanPkSki3074.jpg

2013ShermanPkSki3082.jpg

Don't go this way!

2013ShermanPkSki3084.jpg

Better make sure you have enough Kokanee for Gordo. When Gordo gets mad, Gordo gets strong!

2013ShermanPkSki3085.jpg

Gear Notes:

skis! We saw many suffering without flotation, or with, in the case of snow shoes.

Approach Notes:

Follow the early season masses, then turn right at the crater.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevino- Drop me a line when you are over this way and I'll be happy to take some glamour shots of you. Maybe we'll even go skiing.

Scott- It is tough being in the mountains with Gordo, the adoring masses almost are too much. BTW, thanks for those Kokanees, we put them to good use!