[TR] Spring Mountain - Other Side of the Tracks 4/26/2013

curtveld

Trip: Spring Mountain - Other Side of the Tracks

Date: 4/26/2013

Trip Report:

Prime season has arrived at Spring Mountain! Yesterday Joe and I made a run up one of Washington’s less traveled classics: The Other Side of the Tracks, III 5.10b. Lots of beta on access, pitches and gear is available here .

A pit stop at our favorite little mill town in the Alps

Darrington.jpg

To access the start, there’s a snow patch that requires a few easy steps in rock shoes. The first few holds were buried in muck from the winter runoff, but there are wire brushes and a broom stashed for your convenience in a little cave left of the start. So civilized!

Pitch 1 – Don’t let the moss scare you, the holds are clean and dry!

OST_pitch_1.jpg

Pitch 2 – The Goods – the gorgeous 5.7-ish slab.

OST_pitch_2.jpg

Coming up the enduro-slopers on Pitch 3

OST_pitch_3.jpg

Joe made it look like 5.9 – for me, more like 10c. The snow patch at the start is visible below in the shade. There is much less snow around the crag than last year.

Though not as steep, Pitches 4 & 5 were also dry and engaging.

Anyone that can climb bolted 5.9 will find plenty of good shorter routes to do at Spring. The other full-length routes – Erocktica and Romantica - also clock in at around 10b and have some unique features. The solitude up there is nice but we need help to keep the moss from reclaiming this amazing chunk of rock!

Gear Notes:

15 draws plus singles of cams to 2"

Approach Notes:

See link in first paragraph. Roads and trail are good as ever

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Bump for a good TR. I was up there this last weekend in the sun. It was beautiful. If you haven't been, I would highly suggest a visit to this excellent crag. There are some windfalls on the approach path, but I plan on working on those in the weeks to come.

M. Hanna