Van Zandt cliffs info?

Bill_Simpkins

Does anyone have any beta on the small Van Zandt cliffs near Bellingham? They are at the end of Potter Rd. off of Highway 9 between the Mt. Baker Hwy and Sedro. I read in a book somewhere a while ago that there are routes on them. I was out there today scoping it out, but I didn't want to blaze a trail through someones yard.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not confusing it with another place in the area, I was recently talking about this with someone who has put up some climbs there and he expressed some concern about the private property issue. I don't know whether he has had some contact with an unfriendly land owner, but in any event caution is in order. I'd be hesitant to promote the place, or even to visit, until someone attempts to resolve the issue (not out-and-out against it, but hesitant). My thinking is that there are plenty of places to climb and if this one is a good addition to the mix, someone should see if they can arrange access; if not, I don't need to go there. If you do go to check it out, don't park in the way of, say, some apparently unused side road, keep a low profile, and respond respectfully if you meet the land owner. If you actually have to walk along someone's driveway or pass through their yard or on their nature trail or something, you oviously should ask permission.

Matt's right. As hunters, my friends and I are always courteous and forthright with landowners. Always ask permission first. I always bring the landowner a duck as a token of my appreciation. In fact, if it's a hot spot and we're allowed to hunt there all season, I buy the owner a bottle of Crown Royal. Works wonders.

If you actually have to walk along someone's driveway or pass through their yard or on their nature trail or something, you oviously should ask permission.

Yeah, that's the key element. When I said he was "cool" he was cool in the sense that if you asked him he'd be like "yeah no problem", then he would probably hike with you with 5 dogs at heel and give you a tour of the owl houses that he built that they roost in every year.

I tried getting to Butler a few years ago. Followed the directions I got off of RocknRoad. Walked down the railroad tracks, had two mongrel dogs chase after me, managed to hit one of them with a rock and they backed off.

Never got to Butler as we went too far. But on the way back we did see it, bushwacked towards it and realized we wasted the day. The thing makes the Van Zandt cliff look well, worth the trip.

If you want some obscure stuff to climb in that area, head over to Split Rock and Bald Rock (located near Lake Cavanaugh). Or up at Cumberland Pass on the Finney Creek Road, some nice sandbagged 5.9s on decent rock.

Happy Trails

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...