another responsible gun owner

rob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've just bailed from two lost wars - a trillion fucking dollars worth of fail, so we can lick our gaping economic and social wounds and you're telling us we should be paying more attention to what's going on in other countries?

Do you live in a giant Ziplock or something?

I guess it's not a problem if you're not the one (tens of thousands a year, actually) with a bullet in them.

Cuz we're scoring last in that class by about 3x. We're Americans - we're supposed to win the fucking trophy n shit.

I think we can do better.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

We've just bailed from two lost wars - a trillion fucking dollars worth of fail, so we can lick our gaping economic and social wounds and you're telling us we should be paying more attention to what's going on in other countries?

I guess it's not a problem if you're not the one (tens of thousands a year, actually) with a bullet in them.

Cuz we're scoring last in that class by about 3x. We're Americans - we're supposed to win the fucking trophy n shit.

Tvash, I agree with most of what you say but would like you to review the numbers in my post as compared to your tens of thousands. I am not in a ziplock but also not in a mass grave with thousands of others in another country.

This is not a rant on gun ownership, just a reminder of what goes on around the world that is violence, not guns. Imagine the pilot of the Enola Gay dropping a nuke on Japan or Genghis Khan raping and pillaging.

The good news: we have a new pope so all problems are solved.

Edited by matt_warfield

Tvash, I agree with most of what you say but would like you to review the numbers in my post as compared to your tens of thousands. I am not in a ziplock but also not in a mass grave with thousands of others in another country.

Many, many more people in the world die of malnutrition and disease than tobacco. Does that mean we should not bother discussing ways to cut back on tobacco deaths in the US? That's pretty much the argument you're making, professor.

We neither govern nor control what happens elsewhere. We have no legitimate entitlement to power in that way. It's called the rule of law. Most of the time when we try, we fuck things up more.

That's not to say that the international community shoudln't have intervened in Rwanda, or that we weren't too late in doing so (it did happen pretty fast, however).

But we've got 300 M folks here that we DO govern. I think we should do the best job of it we can, no? It's hardly ever about resource constraints anyway. It's about human belief systems and the decisions, good or bad, they produce.

Stating that our problems are not as big as Rwanda and therefore not worthy of our attention is paralysis.

No, its not a parental situation. It's a values situation. We've got a decent blueprint - we just need keep trying to put some action behind it to give it meaning. It's not about rules - its about giving a shit.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

another bullshit gun story

Turns out she shot herself and tried to blame her ex-boyfriend.

liar

" A woman who told police that she was shot by a masked man admitted on Friday that she shot herself.

Police said that the woman, 25, said on Thursday that she shot herself in the shoulder while she was handling a gun outside her home on Pacific Street in Bellingham. "