Blackberry cultivation tips

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothin better than fresh blackberry pie and vanilla icecream.

True that - if it is not in YOUR yard. That stuff is a menace!!!!

I've eradicated the majority of it from my property by cutting and pulling. My neighbor loves blackberry pies, so I have to maintain homeland security. I love the blackberries too, but it's easy to walk down the street and harvest a boatload.

Despite obvious jokes, friends living outside the metro zone has a couple goats in fenced off areas on their property. Goats do good work for a cheap price. Just keep them out of areas containing plants you don't want et :hcluv:

Matt has some good points about eradication. Cut stalks low with a brush cutter, pull major root crowns, then cover the ground with arborist chips. Studies I've read indicate the depth of chips should be 1-foot or more.

Arborist chips come from tree services and are often delivered for free or low cost. If you want instant service/delivery hog fuel is a good alternative but isn't free. Do not use beauty bark or mulch. The products have their own set of problems that require a detailed explanation.

If you have valuable trees or shrubs do not Volcanoe Mulch them

Herbicides can provide some control,but do it the right way Broadcast spraying is the worst way.

Pretty much any tree service will have what you want. General Tree are the big kids in Portland, but there's Collier Arbor Care and a bunch of other names I can't spit out.

A company like that unloads chips when the truck is full and your property is in a convenient location on the way to the next job. In most cases they'll ignore you if you ask for one yard or request an appearance on command. They are free or low cost after all ;) Most trucks carry about 12 yards when full. All or nothing ;)