Smith Rock Forecast

jeb013

I'm sure that this whole "don't want to get wet" theme is going to be popular for the next few months, but i got to ask anyways.

In the valley when it says 20% chance of rain it means your going to get wet. But at Smith when it says 20% chance of showers does that mean you actually have an 80% chance of enjoying a day of climbing.

I would really like to get outside this weekend, but I am afraid it is time to retire to the gym for the season. :(

Jeb

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not that uncommon to lose an entire day to rain at smith, or a big old part of one, but usually any forecast under, say 80% rain, ought to mean you'll be able to climb most of the day - if all else fails, learn to aid and do bubba's in bondage! thing is so wicked overhanging you'll stay nice n' dry :)

I will agree with kevbone and ivan except you have to check the temps cuz even in the sunshine, if it is cool you are in the alpine zone.

I have climbed Smith many times, not as much as kevbone, but as I said, you are rarely rained out but there are temperatures lower and higher than the comfort zone that just take the fun out of climbing.

On the other hand it is peak season still and you never know when you will witness a world class climber do something amazing that will inspire you.

For me it was Ethan Pringle on Just Do It and chatting with Brittany Griffith about gin and tonics at the base of Heinous Cling. And seeing a dog who was a mix of Bassett Hound and St. Bernard.

Smith is a lightning rod for experience. Go get it.

Edited by matt_warfield

Awesome to hear, you just turned my stoke level up a notch.

Besides any chance to see a dog that's a total freak of nature is always worth it. ;)

Think I will be heading out tomorrow after all.

Jeb

To up the ante on the dog experience, the father was the Bassett Hound and the mother was the St. Bernard. Definitely 5.13 mating.