Jetboil problem - or gas problem?

B Deleted_Beck

Howdy

I bought a new Jetboil Flash on Friday. This weekend I took it up on a climb and was irritated to discover the gas knob was super touchy and inconsistent- crank the gas up, it flares up then starts to die off and pitters out unless you crank it up even more.. then when your shit is boiling and starting to spill over, it seemed like it was all or nothing- full blast, or off. If I was SUPER careful, I could get a happy medium for simmering, but only after spilling soup all over the place and burning myself and forcefully stopping my angier alter-ego from throwing the thing into the void.

Anyway... I was going to throw it in the truck tonight and take it back to REI tomorrow after work, but the thought just occurred to me- maybe it's just the gas canister that sucks. I don't have another one to try out...

Experiences?

Thanks

-Ben

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Jetboil has a fill line at about 1/3 of the pot - if you fill it up above this line, it will boil over. And it has two speeds - on and off.

I don't cook in it except for pasta noodles, and when I have filled above that 1/3 mark, I watch it carefully to turn it off as soon as it boils. With pasta, you don't have to keep it simmering - you can bring to a boil, turn it off and give it a few minutes, fire it back up and repeat until the noodles are cooked.

The MSR Reactor operates much the same way. Both are meant to boil water and melt snow - not really anything more. They're awesome alpine stoves. If you want it to be a backcountry gourmet cook switch back to a Whisperlite.

Jetboils do have their problems.

Boiling water too quickly isn't one of them.

Their one and only use is kind of implied in the name, no?

Jetboils give you two signals that they're about to scald everything in your tent:

Early Warning: Rising pitch of the characteristic whoosh

Core Breach Imminent: The pot starts shaking. You've got about 5 seconds to hit Shut Down before detonation.

Edited by tvashtarkatena