[TR] Mt. Jefferson 6/10/12 - Jefferson Park KER via Woodpecker Ridge 6/10/2012

bd2510

Trip: Mt. Jefferson 6/10/12 - Jefferson Park KER via Woodpecker Ridge

Date: 6/10/2012

Trip Report:

Yocum Ridge and I made an attempt on Jefferson recently in difficult conditions. I wrote it up on my blog here: http://www.nobolts.blogspot.com/2012/06/mt-jefferson-attempt-via-woodpecker.html

We climbed most of the KER to the North Ridge junction, but had to bail due to tired party members. 22 hours round trip. This was attempt 4 on Jefferson, but each time something's prevented climbing it. Lots of photos and a full report on the blog. Also look for Yocum Ridge's TR soon.

Gear Notes:

3 pickets, 5 screws, many slings, set of nuts, screamers, a few pins.

Approach Notes:

Woodpecker Ridge trailhead (1 mile walk up snow covered road). Endless post holing both directions.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mt. Jefferson C2C via KER in winterish conditions, hmmm...

The week before the last weekend one foot of fresh snow had successfully emerged both on the approach and on the mountain itself and was quickly transforming into rime at the higher elevation.

Good and painful times were had by all last Sunday. "All" is just two of us - we had not met a single soul on the second tallest Oregonian peak that day. How weird is that :) .

The approach was an ass kicker ranging from postholing, jumping across the moats and tree wells to a full on north cascadian bushwhack. Not something I would like to do again. At least, not right now. Chain saws might also be helpful for making your way along the FS roads. So, come prepared.

The tools were useless on the toilet paper rimed KER. Your best bet is to use hands and excavate as much rime as possible to make holds to stem against. Do not fall - there is no reliable pro in that compound on the entire ridge.

It doesn't look too fun of the route, but is a good training for Yocum!

Except the Yocum Ridge has a much more user friendly approach and is wider than 6 inches :) But then again, the grass is always greener ...

For those looking for the info on the Jeff Park Glacier, it is in a very straightforward solo shape right with the two shrunds easily passable either on the right or left. See pics below.

Our descent had certainly its bright sides too. The Prehistoric Monster tower decided to hit me on the head with a rime bucket that almost knocked me off my feet. Then the avy had happened down the North Mill Creek gully as a result of cornice failure in the afternoon sun. Thankfully we stayed on the ridge all time.

Jeff Park Glacier top out and the upper shrund to the left of Smith Rock (looking down from KER):

7363257852_7f4f63d206_h.jpg

On the top of the first gendarme:

7363258590_b3d7ff0c01_h.jpg

Low on KER:

7367575794_32910f9b6b_h.jpg

Happy arrival on the summit ridge in the afternoon:

7367575152_4c9628d538_b.jpg

Mohler Tooth on our way down:

7178026505_d76d0c76cf_h.jpg

Fast growing baby rime:

7363253212_c9e0f85595_b.jpg

KER, the knife edge ridge, connects the Smith Rock and the Mohler Tooth on the south side of Jeff Park Glacier. According to Jeff Thomas in Ore High, it is rated Rime ::skull:: or 5.1 rock when it is melted later in the season. The KER is the crux feature of the Jeff Park Gl and Russell Gl routes accessible via Jefferson Park.

We approached KER via Woodpecker Ridge which is not the standard way and it is NOT described in Ore High. It is however shorter than via Jeff Park. Woodpecker Ridge starts right at the TH#3442 off the road 040, going eastward and SE and then parallels Mill Creek to the north before merging with the Russell gl ridge (11a) below the Prehistoric Monster.

7182025497_1b3423a73e_o.jpg