Desecration or knowledge gathering?

billcoe

I see Raindawg getting grief for his profession. However, I see his job as large net benefit to society, a puzzle being put together one piece here and one piece there. Which of us would not benefit from learning more about this civilization? Was climate change or water issues the cause of it's disappearance? Clues to the future are often found in the past. It's up to us to pay attention to them and learn from it. Dig it? Yup.

http://news.yahoo.com/huge-ancient-civilization-collapse-explained-123449804.html

http://stansjournal.com/index.php?page=news&type=view&id=history-mystery%2Fthe-lost-indus-valley&filter=8%2C9%2C10%2C11%2C12&blog=0

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/archaeology/mohenjo-daro/

...or we could talk about bolts too....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Raindawg getting grief for his profession.

Wrong. Raindawg's getting grief for being Raindawg. His profession seems to just be something he's sensitive about, so people just push that button. I don't know the guy, personally, but he sure seems uptight. Archaeology is cool, though, I'm pretty sure nobody is actually giving him grief just because of that.

Wrong. Raindawg's getting grief for being Raindawg. His profession seems to just be something he's sensitive about, so people just push that button. I don't know the guy, personally, but he sure seems uptight. Archaeology is cool, though, I'm pretty sure nobody is actually giving him grief just because of that.

Can't we just post climbing pictures with bolts in them and :poke: him?

Bolts:-)

P1000060.jpg

The Egyptians permanently altered rock on a monumental scale - a scale the eclipses what climbers have done with bolts. If you chopped all the bolts in the world they would not even fill up the tombs in the Valley of the Kings, I'd wager. There is huge hypocrisy in lamenting on the latterbolts (endlessly) while dedicating one's life to the former. Pointing that out is not mocking the profession, but mocking the hypocrisy and posturing.

The specifics don't really matter. The typical internet board bully will rationalize any use of personal information (real or imagined) in order to disparage and harass those who say things he doesn't like. He'll also be sure to claim his targets lack humor when asked to keep it clean.

And also sometimes just to make fun of people who act uptight, even if you agree with them.

"He'll also be sure to claim his targets lack humor when asked to keep it clean."

But sometimes it's true.

The Egyptians permanently altered rock on a monumental scale - a scale the eclipses what climbers have done with bolts. If you chopped all the bolts in the world they would not even fill up the tombs in the Valley of the Kings, I'd wager. There is huge hypocrisy in lamenting on the latterbolts (endlessly) while dedicating one's life to the former. Pointing that out is not mocking the profession, but mocking the hypocrisy and posturing.

You seem to think that you can "win" arguments by making them into a hypocrisy debate. It's called the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem, in case you haven't heard of it: "an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it."

You rarely address the merits of the climbing issue, and when you do it's a personal attack [which is allegedly prohibited on this site.]

By the way, the Valley of the Kings was "altered" 3500 years ago to serve as a royal cemetery by Egyptians who had neither bolts nor an interest in climbing. Archaeologists working there today, including myself, are heavily involved in restoration and conservation to an extent you clearly wouldn't appreciate.

By the way, do you climb at Index? It's a big "altered" rock quarry.

The big question is, what are YOU doing about the way YOU treat your climbing environment TODAY? I don't expect a reasonable response.

You seem to think that you can "win" arguments by making them into a hypocrisy debate. It's called the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem, in case you haven't heard of it: "an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it."

You rarely address the merits of the climbing issue, and when you do it's a personal attack [which is allegedly prohibited on this site.]

By the way, the Valley of the Kings was "altered" 3500 years ago to serve as a royal cemetery by Egyptians who had neither bolts nor an interest in climbing. Archaeologists working there today, including myself, are heavily involved in restoration and conservation to an extent you clearly wouldn't appreciate.

By the way, do you climb at Index? It's a big "altered" rock quarry.

The big question is, what are YOU doing about the way YOU treat your climbing environment TODAY? I don't expect a reasonable response.

Let the desert reclaim the VK. Cut *those* bolts!