Owyhee River Canyon?

ryland_moore

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last summer. The rock is rhyolite. It is a huge area. The rock is real variable. A lot of choss. There are two areas with welded tuff of the same type as Smith , Leslie Gulch and The Honeycombs but they are both posted 'closed to fixed climbing hardware'. I took this to include pins and nuts left behind as rap gear. We saw one sport route in Leslie Gulch. Succor Creek is a state park and looked like a bastard son of Owens River. We didn't find any established routes but the access was easy and there were no closures. Its a real cool looking area but I won't go back to climb. Did I mention there's a lot of choss.

Anyone ever climbed out here . Seems like the middle of no where eastern Oregon, but every time I see pictures, it amazes me. I know that a lot of the area is under protection and development, but anyone know if there are areas that may be open to climbing? What kind of rock? Supposed to be enormous (bigger than Smith for sure)

[ 10-18-2002, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: ryland moore ]

I climbed in Leslie Gulch several times in the 70's and if I'm remembering the right area I found Smith like rock. I believe I did a 4 or so pitch aid route on a pinnacle and a bunch of free climbs. It was an out of the way place but that was a big part of the attraction.

I climbed in Leslie Gulch several times in the 70's and if I'm remembering the right area I found Smith like rock. I believe I did a 4 or so pitch aid route on a pinnacle and a bunch of free climbs. It was an out of the way place but that was a big part of the attraction.